• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Popcorn Sticks from Pets at Home

Fayelou

Alpha Buck
If your buns haven't tried one yet! Get some!

Simba is nomming away now and it is supposed to be good for teeth and they just hang from the cage / hutch. Hours (or minutes :lol:) of fun for buns. Must be a tasty treat :love:

haven't used them before but there are two in the house for emergencies - in case anybun needs to be tempted to eat. might just do a trial run as an experiment...;)

No, these are not good!

Not only do they often contain sugar but often they contain egg and milk too.

I would stick to natural treats like dried leaves, herbs, small amounts of fruit, treat hays etc.

Manufactered treats like those can cause stasis in sensative buns. :wave:

Good for mice, rats and hamsters though!

No, these are not good!

Not only do they often contain sugar but often they contain egg and milk too.

I would stick to natural treats like dried leaves, herbs, small amounts of fruit, treat hays etc.

Manufactered treats like those can cause stasis in sensative buns. :wave:

Good for mice, rats and hamsters though!

i agree i stay well clear of them

I know it seems boring but mine get just as much enjoyment out of the Alfalfa King Timothy hay that some P@H stock. And hay is the absolute best thing for teethies. Can get it on The Hay Experts as well. :)

Things like this give our Jess a horrible sticky bun- much better to stick to natural things. She has just discovered the wonders of basil, and a small piece of banana always goes down well!

Of course, they do get just as excited about a fresh handful of hay :love:

It might be good for the front teeth but not as good as an apple stick, it wont be good for the back teeth, and will fill them up so they eat less hay. Way too much sugar in these so my buns dont get them, especially as they eat them within a few minutes. I did use them for the hamster when she was refusing to eat as she got older though. And I do occasionally buy commercial treats for special occasions.

Dont get me wrong they love them, but its like junk food for small animals.

I know it seems boring but mine get just as much enjoyment out of the Alfalfa King Timothy hay that some P@H stock. And hay is the absolute best thing for teethies. Can get it on The Hay Experts as well. :)

Buckley loves that hay :D He only gets it when I'm feeling fancy though as it's so darn expensive.
Might get him some of that and some chamomile feat woodlands hay as a christmas pressie :lol:

Buckley loves that hay :D He only gets it when I'm feeling fancy though as it's so darn expensive.
Might get him some of that and some chamomile feat woodlands hay as a christmas pressie :lol:

I tend to give them a handful of treat hay about once a week so it's lasts quite a while with us :oops: They love their meadow hay too so they don't miss having it every day.

mine get through a bag of King Timothy hay every week :oops: i know its expensive but i do not really give them anything else they get some herbs twice a week and one gets dried leaves as he will not eat reash herbs as his treat they do go through about half a bag of medow hay a week but that is used for their litter tray. I do give them a treat now and again prob once every coupl of weeks but thats a nibble on a treat stick not the whole thing. I may just be a bit mean though :lol::lol:

:lol: oh dear!

mine usually get fancy hays daily, mixed in with plain, but we're on short rations at the moment so until i get to a supplier (probably p@h, sorry) mine are on meadow hay from asda. they're quite fond of it. the alfalfa king timothy is a regular for us, too. them, i mean. i don't eat it.

well, they tried the dreaded popcorn sticks. munched them all up overnight. not a shred left. all four bunnehs are looking ok this morning. i will continue to buy 'treats' for emergencies but i can't remember the last time i gave some speculatively... they have their single crunchie each in the morning when i'm leaving for work and evening when i'm going to bed (as in fenugreek if i can get them, or the nasty little balls that come in the p@h packets with them) because it's the only food they know to take from my hand.

well, fayelou, we have been told. ;)

Oh no :shock:

I didn't realise these were bad! I won't buy any more, Simba just loved them that's all.

She adores hay and I get it from hay for pets or the hay experts. Timothy hay, but she likes to experiment with different ones :D She has been having a tiny bit of banana every day with her baytril and she LOVES dill. Not keen on basil. LOVES carrot.

Think my bun just has a sweet tooth :lol: But I am so lucky, she is the best hay eater I have ever had. Loves the stuff. :love:

There's a basic rule for treats.

If it looks pretty, smells sugarry and says "pets will love it" on the label and is from a pet store, it's going to be bad for a rabbit.

Without exception ALL of the foster buns I've had here go as bonkers for an SS pellet as anything else! There's no reason why pellets can't be used as 'treats', I often put them in the treat ball instead of the bowl! I also buy fenugreek crunchies (no bun slave should ever be without them ;) ) & dried carrot & parsnip peelings are a good 'free' treat too :D

In the summer of course there's soooo much more you can give but I think top of the list has to be rose petals, pink or red being the preferred option :lol:

Without exception ALL of the foster buns I've had here go as bonkers for an SS pellet as anything else! There's no reason why pellets can't be used as 'treats', I often put them in the treat ball instead of the bowl! I also buy fenugreek crunchies (no bun slave should ever be without them ;) ) & dried carrot & parsnip peelings are a good 'free' treat too :D

In the summer of course there's soooo much more you can give but I think top of the list has to be rose petals, pink or red being the preferred option :lol:

As do i Fluffers - a SS pellet is my 'eating test' in the morning and before bed time.

As do i Fluffers - a SS pellet is my 'eating test' in the morning and before bed time.

We do an eat test morning and night too. We have used vitakraft nibble rings for years and years for this. They have literally been life savers. And we can even pick up on dental problems really early just from the way a bunny is able to eat their nibble ring :) The only buns that don;t get them are those on a low calcium diet as they are alfalfa based.

:lol: oh dear!

mine usually get fancy hays daily, mixed in with plain, but we're on short rations at the moment so until i get to a supplier (probably p@h, sorry) mine are on meadow hay from asda. they're quite fond of it. the alfalfa king timothy is a regular for us, too. them, i mean. i don't eat it.

well, they tried the dreaded popcorn sticks. munched them all up overnight. not a shred left. all four bunnehs are looking ok this morning. i will continue to buy 'treats' for emergencies but i can't remember the last time i gave some speculatively... they have their single crunchie each in the morning when i'm leaving for work and evening when i'm going to bed (as in fenugreek if i can get them, or the nasty little balls that come in the p@h packets with them) because it's the only food they know to take from my hand.

well, fayelou, we have been told. ;)

Buckley prefers the ball ones :oops: I would get the plain flying saucer looking ones but there's nowhere near us that sells them and I can't afford to spend £2 on treats plus £2 on postage when I could get two bags of treats for that price haha.
Amusingly, OH likes the ball crunchies too :lol:

This is how I feel - a pellet 'out of hours' in other words not at meal times is considered a treat. Bunnies don't care what it is!:D

We do an eat test morning and night too. We have used vitakraft nibble rings for years and years for this. They have literally been life savers. And we can even pick up on dental problems really early just from the way a bunny is able to eat their nibble ring :) The only buns that don;t get them are those on a low calcium diet as they are alfalfa based.

Yes, i completely agree it could be a life saver.

I can't remember the last time we had FC's here, so tend to use pellets or a bramble leaf as they are rarely turned down either :)

Back