• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Help - sitting here in tears???

susieb1

Mama Doe
I need some sensible advice please! I have Cookie who is two and a half and three weeks ago we lost his wifey Honey. I miss Honey so much and know it's only very early days. My problem is that Cookie was always the dominant one even though he 's only 1.1 kg. He seemed ok for the first two weeks but this last few days he doesn't want to know me, he hides when I go in unless it's food time. He is in an outdoor room which is big (approx 12' x 6' min.) inc. abundance of tunnels, boxes, 5ft two tier hutch which is open 24/7, a fire engine from Blackberry which he sleeps in at night surrounded by hay, bridges etc. etc. Also has access during daylight hours to a 7' x 5' run. I spend about 2/3 hours with him every day sitting in there as I did before Honey died so he is not completely alone. Other family members also pop in and out to see him. He does seem more happy to see them than me!!!
My dilemna is:-
- I feel I should get him another wife but I'm not sure my nerves can stand it. I feel very guilty about his cos I love him loads.
- If I did I would have to bond them inside which means that they would not be able to go back outside until the Spring and unfortunately because he's a mad, chewy bun ( as I found out pre Honey ) I do not have space for them inside for an extended period beyond bonding.
- I don't want to feel like I'm replacing Honey because I know I can't - she was my special baby.

The tears are flowing tonight cos I feel I'm letting him down. To add to this I'm worried that Honey's passing could have been caused by stress cos Cookie was dominant. She only started having tummy troubles once they were together but she did REALLY love him. I had to feed her by hand to ensure she got food. Although saying that sometimes she did barge him out of the way if there was something that really caught her eye.

Thank you for any advice cos I feel so rubbish - confused and tearful Susieb!:cry:

I really think the best thing for both you and Cookie would be to get another bunny :) It's likely he is lonely and that's why his personality has slightly changed. I know a lot of rescues will actually do bonding for you so maybe you could look into that :thumb:

*hugs*

Susieb,I am so sorry to hear that you are sat there in tears. You are not alone in feeling this way in such a situation. We are here for you. x

I will try to help.

I, like many, have suffered the loss of a bunny which resulted in another one being left on their own. Everytime I have given the remaining bunny at least a couple of weeks to grieve and then taken them to meet another prospective partner. There was one exception though, the remaining bunny was 11years old + and I just totally pampered him until he was pts.

Many good rescues will find a compatable friend for your remaining bunny and do the bonding for you.

I cannot recommend Alice at Windwhistle Warren enough. She is brilliant at finding the best suitable partner and supervising the bonding................and she re-homes nationwide.

Cookie will hopefully find love once again and you will both enjoy life to the full once again.

It is okay to feel the way you do. I've felt the same way on many, many occasions.

Take good care of yourselves. It will get easier, but for now you and Cookie are grieving.

Auntie Di .xx

Last edited:
Cookie needs a friend :wave: you arent replacing Honey, you are making Cookie happy again and it will be so so worth it when hes happy and responsive to you again :)

Aww it must be so awful when that happens, luckily I havent been in that situation yet where one bun has been left alone, but I would definitely do as others have said and get Cookie a friend. I totally understand the stress of bonding as I've done it myself, but a good rescue would help you with that. I hope you can sort something out xx

Its not about replacing, thats not the right word, we recently went through loosing 2 rabbits in 4 weeks it was so sad we got a Twinkle when we lost bicci then we lost tommy so twink was alone, we really pondered, shes 5yr old and had been alone all that time apart from 2wks with tommy.

We now have twinkle and her new hubby ozzie, they cant replace tommy and bicci, but they arent supposed to, they are 2 happy little buns in love with each other and enjoying life, they are half the size of my bridge buns and dont look like them, I couldnt do like for like but thats just me.

It is really hard and non bunny people think your crackers cos 'its just a bunny' its not. Your bunny was yours, you loved her, gave her the best you could and grieving to me shows you care.

Personally i would get a new bunny, not a replacement bunny, a NEW bunny, some rescues have the bunnies outside so they will have there winter coat so if they can do the bonding then when all is ok you could have them outside without any winter coat issues.

It does get easier, I now smile when I see a bunny that looks like one of mine, my daughter still struggles but they were her first pets and she stayed for the pts even though she wasnt quite 13 at the time.

There is some great posts here. I'm sorry that Cookie is finding this so hard, poor thing. I'm sure a rescue would be happy to help you find a new bunny (not a replacement at all) with the right personality. :)

Susieb1..............it will get easier to bear.

Everything will be alright. I'm sure of that fact.

You and Cookie just need some time.

We're all here for you.

Sleep tight. xx

Thank you everyone. I've been out with him, warmed his blankets and bed and he came and laid next to me and had a good half hour of nose rubs and kisses which was lovely cos earlier he wanted nothing to do with me. I don't want to'replace' her because I know I can't but stupidly I feel like I'm letting her down if I do. She could have been my housebun and when she was under the weather she would come and sleep on the bed in between me and my hubby. Her personality was so different to Cookie, she was very protective towards me with regards to other adults except my OH, it was bizarre. When I had Cookie on his own he was a real big softie and when I got Hunhun for him I was worried because I wasn't sure I could feel so much for another bunny but I did but in a different way.
Thank you for all your kind words and advice deep down I know what I should do but am struggling to accept she's gone. I dream about her, cuddling her and then I wake up. I sound like a right nutter but as with most of us my animals keep me going through hard times and have kept me 'sane'. Some may argue that though!

I don't think I can add anything extra to the advice already given, just wanted to send more (((hugs))) for you and Cookie. Must be so hard without beautiful Honey. Glad you had some snuggle time with Cookie tonight :)

Hoping you feel a little brighter today!!

Take care. x

Thank you so much for your advice and kind words yesterday. I do feel better today thank you. I just wish it was the spring/summer time so I could bond cos I don't want him going away to be bonded but it's just not practical at this time of year for me but he is more important. I think I now know what I have to do.:thumb:

Thank you so much for your advice and kind words yesterday. I do feel better today thank you. I just wish it was the spring/summer time so I could bond cos I don't want him going away to be bonded but it's just not practical at this time of year for me but he is more important. I think I now know what I have to do.:thumb:

That's good news!:thumb::thumb:

Wishing you all the best.

Take good care of yourselves. x

Back