• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit teeth checkers

whitehood

Warren Veteran
One vet I used to use used a device that went in the mouth and magnified the image

My current vets use a brace thing, that they have to fit into the rabbits mouth around the top and bottom teeth. This is so stressful as the rabbit's held like a baby in the nurses arm.
Do you think when I go for a VHD jab I should tell them to check with the other apparatus?
And what do I do if they don't have one ?

I think the device you are talking about is an otoscope, can be used for teeth, ears and has a nozzle for looking in eyes. That's what we use at work. The other thing is only used with us when bun is under anaesthetic to hold mouth open for dental, well that's the only time I have seen it used.

I think the device you are talking about is an otoscope, can be used for teeth, ears and has a nozzle for looking in eyes. That's what we use at work. The other thing is only used with us when bun is under anaesthetic to hold mouth open for dental, well that's the only time I have seen it used.

this :thumb:

Thanks both.
I just googled an otoscope and that's what I meant, that's the less stressul device.
The other one like a brace was used when my rabbit was awake
I have to ask the vet to get one if she hasn't :/
Is that rude me asking her ?

My vet never uses a brace type thing on mine. He just uses the otoscope and takes a lot of time checking. :)

Thanks both.
I just googled an otoscope and that's what I meant, that's the less stressul device.
The other one like a brace was used when my rabbit was awake
I have to ask the vet to get one if she hasn't :/
Is that rude me asking her ?

I dont think its rude, just explain that he gets stressed when they use it and ask them to use the otoscope on its own.

Just say sorry to be rude but would it be okay if you didn't use the brace to check his teeth. he got really distressed last time. Can you just use the otoscope otherwise I'll just watch his behaviour myself and bring him in if she starts to dribble or stops eating.

If they dont have one get a new vet!

All vets should have them, they are used a lot for looking in mouths, eyes and ears of many animals, not just rabbits.

Thanks Jenova :)

They probably do but she didn't use it to check his teeth she used the brace. I'll ask anyway :)

Thanks both

Back