PDA

View Full Version : Rabbit teeth checkers

whitehood
06-12-2011, 10:02 PM
One vet I used to use used a device that went in the mouth and magnified the image

My current vets use a brace thing, that they have to fit into the rabbits mouth around the top and bottom teeth. This is so stressful as the rabbit's held like a baby in the nurses arm.
Do you think when I go for a VHD jab I should tell them to check with the other apparatus?
And what do I do if they don't have one ?

MichG
06-12-2011, 10:29 PM
I think the device you are talking about is an otoscope, can be used for teeth, ears and has a nozzle for looking in eyes. That's what we use at work. The other thing is only used with us when bun is under anaesthetic to hold mouth open for dental, well that's the only time I have seen it used.

mini lop1
06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
I think the device you are talking about is an otoscope, can be used for teeth, ears and has a nozzle for looking in eyes. That's what we use at work. The other thing is only used with us when bun is under anaesthetic to hold mouth open for dental, well that's the only time I have seen it used.

this :thumb:

whitehood
06-12-2011, 10:45 PM
Thanks both.
I just googled an otoscope and that's what I meant, that's the less stressul device.
The other one like a brace was used when my rabbit was awake
I have to ask the vet to get one if she hasn't :/
Is that rude me asking her ?

Elena
06-12-2011, 10:45 PM
My vet never uses a brace type thing on mine. He just uses the otoscope and takes a lot of time checking. :)

nessar
06-12-2011, 11:05 PM
Thanks both.
I just googled an otoscope and that's what I meant, that's the less stressul device.
The other one like a brace was used when my rabbit was awake
I have to ask the vet to get one if she hasn't :/
Is that rude me asking her ?

I dont think its rude, just explain that he gets stressed when they use it and ask them to use the otoscope on its own.

whitehood
06-12-2011, 11:19 PM
What if they don't have one ?
How can I tell the to get one :oops:

whitehood
06-12-2011, 11:20 PM
What if they don't have one ?
How can I tell them to get one :oops:

Jenova
06-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Just say sorry to be rude but would it be okay if you didn't use the brace to check his teeth. he got really distressed last time. Can you just use the otoscope otherwise I'll just watch his behaviour myself and bring him in if she starts to dribble or stops eating.

nessar
06-12-2011, 11:23 PM
If they dont have one get a new vet!

All vets should have them, they are used a lot for looking in mouths, eyes and ears of many animals, not just rabbits.

whitehood
06-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Thanks Jenova :)

They probably do but she didn't use it to check his teeth she used the brace. I'll ask anyway :)

Thanks both