• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Heat pads and snuffles

Elena

Wise Old Thumper
Mischa's feeling a bit rough again with snuffles and it seems to happen each winter when it starts getting really cold so I was thinking of buying a heat pad and putting it on a timer for about 5am until 5pm (ish) when the house is colder (coal fire = cold mornings). I know there's that one on amazon that has a reinforced cable (but can I find it? :evil:). Does anyone have any other recommendations? I have a snuggle safe that I'm going to warm up for him for the time being.

It might be. I saw that but couldn't tell if that was the one or not. Thanks. Does Ginger get on with it ok?

It might be. I saw that but couldn't tell if that was the one or not. Thanks. Does Ginger get on with it ok?

I've not used it for a good long while, but yes, she used to sit on it. I used to place it under a fleece, quite a thick one, that way the heat radiated through it to her.

Prettylupin has/had one too, she was the one who introduced it to me.

Ta. I will probably get that one then. :thumb::D

The cable is reinforced, but you may want to put some extra protection (maybe hose/ikea tube and insulation tape etc?) as a determined bunny could get through it. Biscuit gave it a good go, but gave up when i got out the crunchies :p

Just to ruin your idea, :lol: we have to NOT have heatpads in here and actually have to leave the windows open, as cooler air keeps her breathing better, its humidity that causes us problems, so we have to leave the radiator off in the office where they live. Yes, that means i get cold... :lol:

I was also going to add that Grim got worse in the winter. At first I thought it was the cold weather but last year I realised it was actually the central heating.
I don't know if you remember but I made a drastic decision last year to put him outside in the middle of winter? He was so bad he couldn't even move to get food but within half an hour of being outside he was running around. They have been outside ever since and this year he is hardly snuffly at all. I've even stopped nebulisation right now as I'd have to bring him inside to do that and the difference in temperatures would not be good for him. So I wonder if it's not the cold that's doing it but the central heating? How is he in the very hot summer months as Grim gets snuffly then too.

:lol: I think it's the change in temperature. My room is heated via the radiator and the chimney breast so when the fire is out my room looses quite a bit of heat. Whereas the rest of the year, when we don't need the heating on, the temperature is pretty constant, even if it's a bit chilly in there it's chilly all the time. The other room has no heating apart from the wall insulation (so yeah I know the chilly feeling well!!) I'm hoping by having another small heat source that it won't fluctuate so much for them.

That's the theory, what it'll be in practise...!

I was also going to add that Grim got worse in the winter. At first I thought it was the cold weather but last year I realised it was actually the central heating.
I don't know if you remember but I made a drastic decision last year to put him outside in the middle of winter? He was so bad he couldn't even move to get food but within half an hour of being outside he was running around. They have been outside ever since and this year he is hardly snuffly at all. I've even stopped nebulisation right now as I'd have to bring him inside to do that and the difference in temperatures would not be good for him. So I wonder if it's not the cold that's doing it but the central heating? How is he in the very hot summer months as Grim gets snuffly then too.

He seem to be fine in summer, although when he had head tilt which I think was an ear infection that was summer so it might be connected. The only other thing I could do would be to open the windows when the fire is going to even out the temp change.

Back