• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Trip to the Emergency vets late last night..

lilgems91

Mama Doe
It was later on last night when I was free ranging with the rabbits.

Cupcake decided to bite my dressing gown...and she wouldn't let go!

Next thing I know theres tons of blood spouting what looks like from under her chin, and Im trying to stay calm and try and see whats happened, and where the blood is pouring from.

She wont let me see underneath her chin, and theres blood on her nose, and all under her chin. She is white too so its a bit easier to see.

I rang the emergency vets and they said to bring her in, as if its under her chin its serious.

It takes us 20 minutes from my house to get there, luckily my dad drove and I had cupcake and benji on my knee trying to calm her down.

All I could think during the journey was that I was going to lose her :cry:

We got to the emergency vets and they took her in the back to clean her up and try and see the wound.

They came back through and said it was a mystery-they couldnt initially see where the wound was.

Turns out she had bitten inside of her cheek, about a 2/3cm gash, hence why there was so much blood dripping through, as the vet said there are lots of capillaries in the cheeks.

Luckily the vet that was on was rabbit savvy, and made a huge fuss of her and benji. She showed me the gash and said there might be a bit of light bleeding for 24 hours, and if it continues to take her back to my normal vets.

When cuppy got home they both had some cucumber which she loved, and started munching on hay straight away. My brave little girl has recovered quickly :)

Benjamin was so good in the car too, just stayed snuggled upto her the whole time, trying to groom her because there was so much blood dripping.

It cost me £150, and that was without treatment as they found out I already had got metacam.

Just before xmas aswell :(

But I would do it all over again if I needed to, my rabbits are my world and I love them to bits xxx

That must have been scary! Glad she is ok though!
That's a lot of money at this time of year but I woulnt care if it was for my bunnies either. Xx

She seems fine today, is sleeping as normal but has come over to me for a cuddle, and has been licking me as normal so can see her mouth isn't bleeding :)

It was very scary jamie, I honestly thought she had managed to cut herself under the neck :(

There was so much blood everywhere, pouring out all down her front and underneath her chin, it was all I dreamt of when I got to bed last night x

Gosh that must have been terrifying for you! Im so glad shes ok now. Although does she have pain relief? Thats quite a big gash for a little mouth :(

They tried to sell me metacam, but I already have a large bottle her for bens snuffles so they said to use that, and give her some this morning which I have done.

Im so glad everything is ok, thank you all for your kind words, it means a lot!

My mum and dad dont really understand so its nice to get some support on R.U :)

That must have been terrifying! How on earth did she manage to bite her cheek? Its a wonder we can leave them alone at all without worrying they'll hurt themselves. Glad she's recovering and hopefully you are too.

I think because she was tugging onto my dressing gown so hard and moving, she must have somehow caught her cheek with her teeth :(

But the vet checked her back teeth and said they are lovely :)

She does love her hay so this doesnt suprise me :lol:

Keeping my eye on her today even more than normal, think shes loving the extra attention :)

xxx

Back