• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Little boy died this morning, advice on what could of happened?

scoobylou

Young Bun
Hey, my male rabbit was found dead this morning in his hutch. I was hoping if people could maybe give me some advice I found that the green plastic tube i had put into his hutch had been eaten at least half the way of it. I had never noticed it before because that part of the tube was hidden near the floor, could eating a lot of plastic had made him ill. He was bonded with a female and she seems fine, so I don't know what could of happened. The only other thing I can think of is that he had a bit of a dirty bum because he had an absess on his bum when he was a baby and has never really liked cleaning his bum since so it could of got infected but when I checked him out a few days ago he seemed fine a little mucky, but his winter coat was big and fluffy and he was happy.

Also with his passing, do u think it is a good idea to get another male rabbit for my female so she doesn't get lonely, she was the dominant one of the two and seemed fine this morning but I'm worried about her being on her own.

I'm so so sorry for your loss :(

Was your little man vaccinated against VHD? Is his partner?

Also, if he had a mucky bum and was very furry, it's possible he could have had flystrike, but without examining him for maggots (im sorry) it would be impossible to tell.

I wouldn't contemplate another friend for your other bun immediatley unless she begins suffering from severe loneliness, until yuo know what happened, as you may need to destroy the hutch etc due to whatever it could have been.

I am sorry to hear about your bunny.

I am afraid that the only way to possibly find out what happend (and potentially protect your other bunny or any new bunny arriving) is to get a post mortem done. Not everybody will want to do this, but sometimes it helps to let go, because it may have been something that you couldn't have known about.

Might be worth considering and although it's hard, it's also a good way for your vet to learn about rabbits (that helps me when I have them done).

I do think that it will be important to find out the cause if you have absolutely no idea but want to give his widow a new partner.

Once again, sorry for your loss

I am sorry to hear you have lost a loved bun.

As others have said it is difficult at a distance to guess what it could have been:

Overnight death can be due (for example) to sudden severe respiratory infection, VHD (not very common), sudden cold temperatures affecting an already ill rabbit, fly strike (again not common this time of year), or heart attack due to fright (are they well away from any foxes? or are they in a garden hutch style? - in which case the latter is most likely).

However eating the tube could also have caused blockage.

I am concerned that you did not notice the green tunnel had been chewed and only mention checking the buns bottom a few days ago . . really buns need checking at least twice a day and their hutch or shed etc thoroughly cleaned and all toys and tunnels removed and checked once a week and all bedding removed and new replaced. It may be that you do do that but it came over slightly differently in the post . .

re the lone bun thats left - she will be very cold now at night - and depending how much interaction she has with you may be very lonely - does she get a lot of run time with you?

Personally I would say that you should get a new bun for her - If you get one from rescue they will also perhaps be able to give advice on bonding the two buns (not an esay procedure at times) and also check your accommodation etc to ensure it is right for two buns . . they could give useful advise in case there is a fox issue!

Thanks everyone, just really sad cus we were moving into a new home in a couple of days were he would of had an entire room for him to stay in during winter which he will never get to be in now :(

Back