• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Disinfecting cage to get rid of EC. Does Trigene work? If so where can I get it from?

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all,

Our lovely Noel has EC :cry: and we need to disinfect the cage and litter trays daily. Our vet suggested Trigene as they use it at the vets. He isn't keen for us to use bleach because it isn't safe for the rabbits. Is Trigene effective and where can I buy it from? Can you only get it online?

Many thanks,

L x:D

Afraid i dont really know, but bumping this up for you.

I know a lot of people use steam cleaners, but dont know if that helps!

Hi all,

Our lovely Noel has EC :cry: and we need to disinfect the cage and litter trays daily. Our vet suggested Trigene as they use it at the vets. He isn't keen for us to use bleach because it isn't safe for the rabbits. Is Trigene effective and where can I buy it from? Can you only get it online?

Many thanks,

L x:D

You could ask if your vet will order it in for you (I do this) and it normally comes the next day. Alternatively I get Conficlean II from SPH supplies, which is also vet grade.

http://www.sphsupplies.co.uk/products.php?product=Conficlean2-HLD-500ml-concentrate

Would Trigene definately get rid of EC spores? Our vet seemed to think so.
Just want to make sure we are doing all we can for Noel and Milly.
Thank you.

Would Trigene definately get rid of EC spores? Our vet seemed to think so.
Just want to make sure we are doing all we can for Noel and Milly.
Thank you.

I didn't know the exact answer to this question and just called the manufactuers who said yes, and are sending me a data sheet/bulletin by e-mail shortly.

I also called Petlife who manufacture Conficlean who said that you can use Conficlean or even better is Formula H (also used by vets) which definitely kills EC spores off.

Link to this product here - widely available online http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petlife-Formula-Veterinary-Disinfectant-Concentrate/dp/B003670RU2/ref=sr_1_3?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1323169985&sr=1-3

This is interesting, as I didn't think Trigene killed EC. Or Conficlean, come to that. :? I thought only a bleach solution or steam cleaning was up to the task.

Thank you so so so much for looking into this for me. I am at work at the moment and just checked back on my lunch break.

Helen....do you work at Kynoch vets? If so, could I get some Trigene from Harman's Water? Got to pick up some panacur anyway at some point this week.

Thank you,

L x

Thank you so so so much for looking into this for me. I am at work at the moment and just checked back on my lunch break.

Helen....do you work at Kynoch vets? If so, could I get some Trigene from Harman's Water? Got to pick up some panacur anyway at some point this week.

Thank you,

L x

Hi

I work for the group practice but not actually based at Harmans Water (I drive the ambulance between practices), but I do know that they can order it in for you, but I've no idea how the price would compare with buying it online. If you give them a call, they will need 24 hours to get it in as they have deliveries every day. :) hope that helps.

Unfortunately we have had first hand experience of EC although as I have already posted Buttercup has made a full recovery.

Buttercup is one of 9 house rabbits, and shares her night cage with her hus bun Squirrel and out time with another two buns as well. They all use the same areas in the house / garden although at separate times.

We bleach once every three to four weeks and have not had any EC problems since at all. Given that Buttercup was so ill and that she lives with a number of other buns, I feel that the bleach seems to work for us. We use one part bleach, nine parts water.

Is there any reason why you don't want to use plain old simple (and economical) bleach? I'm interested to know why you think the other things mentioned would be better - like you I want the best for my buns :D

Back