• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you keep your pets memories?

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Do you simply take lots of photographs and keep them on your computer?
Do you make up photobooks etc?
Do you keep albums?

Do you make videos and keep them on the computer/disc etc?

I want to make some memories, but i can't seem to find the right way to do it that feels right, so wanted to hear from others.

I need to learn to use my camera better so i can take indoor snaps easier, but i'm just no good :(

I have photo albums, its lovely looking through the photos as you put them together :D

Actually need to do an update and get loads of Charlotte piccies in them too :love:

I take as many photos as I can.

I can't always look at them if a pet goes, but it's a comfort to know that I have enough photos to perfectly recall exactly how they looked so I can never forget even a tiny detail :love:

Lots and lots of photos :) I have so many lovely, silly, daft photos of my two greyhounds who are now at the bridge and they are out on display so I can see them everyday :)

I have a general scrapbook of pic of all the animals and then when they go to the rainbow bridge, they get their own memorial book! x

I think you can guess my answer :oops: I have plans to make photobooks in the future :)

Gray it's not that you're no good at indoor snaps, it's simply the limitations of indoor light, especially in winter. A cheap flashgun that you can aim at the ceiling might help. That's what I used to do with my old Pentax and what I'm soon planning to do once I have enough money for a flashgun.

Photos and videos and pick a few pics to go in a frame. The rest are on my laptop and backed up. When Nino passed away I had two very talented RU members paint a beautiful portrait. :love:

We also bought a memory fruit tree which is waiting to be planted out in the garden with his ashes which we still have on top of the piano.

I take lots of photos and videos to look back on but my very most special is my teddy bear which is pased from groomed out hair of my dog Missy now she has passed its prob the most treasured possession i have it sits on my fireplace and i love it, its so special. ive started keeping Smudgys groomed hair now as well although think its will take a lot longer to collect enough!

100_1571.jpg

Last edited:
I think you can guess my answer :oops: I have plans to make photobooks in the future :)

Gray it's not that you're no good at indoor snaps, it's simply the limitations of indoor light, especially in winter. A cheap flashgun that you can aim at the ceiling might help. That's what I used to do with my old Pentax and what I'm soon planning to do once I have enough money for a flashgun.

I can't afford anything like that unfortunately, or believe me, i would do.

I wish i'd let them out in the Garden more over summer, so i could have got more pictures.

I don't know if they'll have another summer :(

I take lots of photos and videos to look back on but my very most special is my teddy bear which is pased from groomed out hair of my dog Missy now she has passed its prob the most treasured possession i have it sits on my fireplace and i love it, its so special. ive started keeping Smudgys groomed hair now as well although think its will take a lot longer to collect enough!

100_1571.jpg

That's amazing, slightly morbid, but beautiful and sentimental :love:

Loads and loads of photos and use them for literature and educational stuff. That way I get to see them and they serve a purpose.

I also have one of every bunny of our own and those who came here to be rehomed but never left :-( they hang in my rogues gallery in the kitchen.

KitchenPictures001.jpg

KitchenPictures002.jpg

Plus of course our memorial hearts in the garden and that each bunny who has left is planted under a stepping stone each.

MemorialHeartsNovember2011010.jpg

Loads and loads of photos and use them for literature and educational stuff. That way I get to see them and they serve a purpose.

I also have one of every bunny of our own and those who came here to be rehomed but never left :-( they hang in my rogues gallery in the kitchen.

KitchenPictures001.jpg

KitchenPictures002.jpg

Plus of course our memorial hearts in the garden and that each bunny who has left is planted under a stepping stone each.

MemorialHeartsNovember2011010.jpg

:love:

I remember seeing that wall through the kitchen door to the garden!

I'll admit I am rubbish with a camera, but whether it's stills or video, I take plenty. Usually for every 10 pix I take I get maybe 3 that I would want to frame, but I am glad of every one I have.
My bigger problem is organizing them. For a person with OCD I just never get around to gathering everything up in one place. :(
One Christmas a relative compiled a bunch of family photos and digitized them onto an electronic frame that you plug into the wall and it plays them like a movie. That was pretty cool. :)

Gray, they'll be here next summer silly billy. *hugs* I have each and every pet I've ever had firmly planted in my head and i think about them every day and tell George all about them. so i think i'm keeping their memories alive. George smiles when I say their names and he can almost say some of their names too.

I have all my photos/videos on computer, but I print the best ones and put them in albums :wave: I have absolutely hundreds of pictures!!' :oops:

I wish i'd let them out in the Garden more over summer, so i could have got more pictures.

I don't know if they'll have another summer :(

Yes I know. :( Sometimes you can get cheap ones at secondhand camera shops.

i have had professional photos done of all the dogs and managed to get nice ones of the bunnies and framed them all.

most of my memories as i am sure yours will be are in your heart and head. something will randomly trigger a memory which in time will make you smile instead of tearing at you.

when i lost one of my dogs 2 years ago i put his ashes in a memory bear along with his tag from his collar, a lovely poem someone sent me (called if it should be) and a little bit of his fur.
i think a lot of it depends on how you want to remember your pet and how they were, tyke loved his bed in our bedroom so his teddy is on the drawers up there.

one of my other dogs has a bone tumor which is incurable and like you i can't help but think of these things and what i will eventually do when the time comes.
for now i am (like him) living for the moment and enjoying him while he is still well in himself, when he starts to get ill i will deal with it then but it would send me mad to keep constantly dwelling on it.

hope you are ok and i'm sure you will decide on something which feels right when the time comes. until then just enjoy. x

pic of tykes memory bear;
animals021.jpg

as a super cheap alternative, you can get a piece of card, wrap some tin foil round it, then hold it infront/under your built in flash so that when it goes off it hits the tin foil and is reflected on to the ceiling. It should then bounce off the ceiling in a similar manner to an external flash.

When taking photos of my mice I wrap toilet roll around the inbuilt flash and it makes an excellent diffuser - gets rid of all the shadows and harsh light you get with flash but still allows that extra bit of light. Also kinder on their eyes. :)

I make sure I take lots of pics of my pets. When they go that's the best way for me to remember them. Videos are nice to have too, you can't put them up like you can photographs but it's still nice to have them somewhere. :)

Back