• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UD He doesn't like pineapple. Bunny eating large amounts of bunny fur.

I wouldn't know why, but ingesting fur could cause a stoppage, so definitely a worry. Has he done strings of poops?

Sorry your having such a difficult time. :(

I wouldn't know why, but ingesting fur could cause a stoppage, so definitely a worry. Has he done strings of poops?

Sorry your having such a difficult time. :(

Yes unfortunatley in the last 24 hours everything has happened. I saw 2 strings of poo today when Cutie-pie was at the vets. I have seen them before and assumed they came from her. Never saw any until Mr Bennett arrived. Makes sense now.

He has always had the odd chase, now I am thinking all the evidence, ie fur, he has already eaten.

I saw the thread on the blockage caused by fur, so obviously worried now.

It never rains, it pours.

Pineapple and papaya are supposed to help with fur blockages.
It really is all go for you, I hope it all calms down soon and all buns are okay.

Pineapple and papaya are supposed to help with fur blockages.
It really is all go for you, I hope it all calms down soon and all buns are okay.

Thanks.

Is that fresh or dried ?

I will also mention it to our own vets on Wednesday, as the emergency vets said she needs to be checked by them.

The vet bill will make you gag. I only hope so much it is accepted by the insurance as I got Cutie-pie covered. I am not even going to think about the outcome.

I hope the insurance cover it for you. :( Is there any reason they wouldn't?
I'm not sure on dry or fresh but Smoo has awful moults so she gets a little pineapple juice or dried papaya.

I hope the insurance cover it for you. :( Is there any reason they wouldn't?
I'm not sure on dry or fresh but Smoo has awful moults so she gets a little pineapple juice or dried papaya.

The juice, of course. Nancy used to love pineapple juice in her medication. Will get the juice and dried papaya.

No reason for the insurance not to pay. Its the lack of trust of insurance companies. I must get Mr Bennett insured as well.

Only hope its not dental, the on going treatment. The invoice doesn't say, but they were treating her for GI Statis. Still confused about this, as they don't really have a conclusive diagnosis.

I give Julie dried papaya when she is molting. I heard the pineapple needs to be fresh though for it to work but the papaya is fine dried..

I give Julie dried papaya when she is molting. I heard the pineapple needs to be fresh though for it to work but the papaya is fine dried..
Oh, interesting. Since Ada had constipation / stasis I've been giving mine a few bits of this most days. Though I have read that the supplements are more potent; The Hay Experts have a papaya one that's specifically for rabbits, made by Oxbow.

Thanks.:wave:

Your welcome. I just ordered a big bag of the papaya from Great Companions. It is really for birds but it just dries papaya so fine for her too. Julie had had a bit of a mucky bum from time to time. Since we have this big bag she gets a little each day and I noticed that her bum is completely clean and no more soft poos.

Definitely worth grooming Mr B every day, if you don't already, to reduce the amount he can ingest.

If he's not yet insured suspect you'll have to mention it to them as a pre-existing condition? :?

Definitely worth grooming Mr B every day, if you don't already, to reduce the amount he can ingest.

If he's not yet insured suspect you'll have to mention it to them as a pre-existing condition? :?

Its not his fur he eats. He ate a large chunk of Cutie-pies fur.:roll: He is the strangest rabbit.

Okay, i'm going to throw this one out there.

Have you had him have a FULL check up by a rabbit savvy vet?

Rabbits can do odd things when they don't feel well, eg, drinking their own urine, eating a fecal poop rather than caecal.

Just an idea.

One of my bunnies Rosie has had to have a big operation due to a blockage of digested fur, she was so full of gas when we got her to the vet's any longer and her tummy would have ruptured and killed her.

Okay, i'm going to throw this one out there.

Have you had him have a FULL check up by a rabbit savvy vet?

Rabbits can do odd things when they don't feel well, eg, drinking their own urine, eating a fecal poop rather than caecal.

Just an idea.

Yes. He was even fostered by one of the staff members at Twickenham. He has been checked twice, when he had his vacs.

Mr Bennett eats anything. He has never refused a thing. I have to pull things out of his mouth, such as door stoppers, draught excluders, shoes, the chinchillas plastic sand box, videos etc. His stomach has been checked as well.

Oh gosh, what is he playing at? :shock:

When mine are moulting I give them a small piece of fresh pineapple every few days. They love it and it keeps well in the fridge in a tupperware.

I hope theyre both ok :(

Oh gosh, what is he playing at? :shock:

When mine are moulting I give them a small piece of fresh pineapple every few days. They love it and it keeps well in the fridge in a tupperware.

I hope theyre both ok :(

I wish I knew. Will discuss it at the vets tomorrow. Mr Bennett seems fine.

I bought fresh and dried pineapple this afternoon. Mr Bennett doesn't like either. :roll: He seems to eat everything else.

There was no dried papaya at Sainsburys, not in the fruit and vegetable section or the dried fruit section. I will have to see if I can get it some where else.

Back