PDA

View Full Version : UD He doesn't like pineapple. Bunny eating large amounts of bunny fur.

Barn Yard Bunnies
05-12-2011, 11:51 PM
He loved it. Like a crunchie. The weirdest thing.

Surely its not good.

Any ideas or advice ?

susie bun
05-12-2011, 11:53 PM
I wouldn't know why, but ingesting fur could cause a stoppage, so definitely a worry. Has he done strings of poops?

Sorry your having such a difficult time. :(

Barn Yard Bunnies
06-12-2011, 12:05 AM
I wouldn't know why, but ingesting fur could cause a stoppage, so definitely a worry. Has he done strings of poops?

Sorry your having such a difficult time. :(

Yes unfortunatley in the last 24 hours everything has happened. I saw 2 strings of poo today when Cutie-pie was at the vets. I have seen them before and assumed they came from her. Never saw any until Mr Bennett arrived. Makes sense now.

He has always had the odd chase, now I am thinking all the evidence, ie fur, he has already eaten.

I saw the thread on the blockage caused by fur, so obviously worried now.

It never rains, it pours.

Jenova
06-12-2011, 12:28 AM
Pineapple and papaya are supposed to help with fur blockages.
It really is all go for you, I hope it all calms down soon and all buns are okay.

Barn Yard Bunnies
06-12-2011, 12:34 AM
Pineapple and papaya are supposed to help with fur blockages.
It really is all go for you, I hope it all calms down soon and all buns are okay.

Thanks.

Is that fresh or dried ?

I will also mention it to our own vets on Wednesday, as the emergency vets said she needs to be checked by them.

The vet bill will make you gag. I only hope so much it is accepted by the insurance as I got Cutie-pie covered. I am not even going to think about the outcome.

Jenova
06-12-2011, 12:47 AM
I hope the insurance cover it for you. :( Is there any reason they wouldn't?
I'm not sure on dry or fresh but Smoo has awful moults so she gets a little pineapple juice or dried papaya.

Barn Yard Bunnies
06-12-2011, 12:52 AM
I hope the insurance cover it for you. :( Is there any reason they wouldn't?
I'm not sure on dry or fresh but Smoo has awful moults so she gets a little pineapple juice or dried papaya.

The juice, of course. Nancy used to love pineapple juice in her medication. Will get the juice and dried papaya.

No reason for the insurance not to pay. Its the lack of trust of insurance companies. I must get Mr Bennett insured as well.

Only hope its not dental, the on going treatment. The invoice doesn't say, but they were treating her for GI Statis. Still confused about this, as they don't really have a conclusive diagnosis.

bunnytoes
06-12-2011, 12:59 AM
I give Julie dried papaya when she is molting. I heard the pineapple needs to be fresh though for it to work but the papaya is fine dried..

Vita
06-12-2011, 01:04 AM
I give Julie dried papaya when she is molting. I heard the pineapple needs to be fresh though for it to work but the papaya is fine dried..
Oh, interesting. Since Ada had constipation / stasis I've been giving mine a few bits of this (https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Natural+Treats+%252526+Herbs.7/Papaya+%252526+Pineapple+Melange.264.html) most days. Though I have read that the supplements are more potent; The Hay Experts have a papaya one that's specifically for rabbits, made by Oxbow.

Barn Yard Bunnies
06-12-2011, 01:05 AM

Thanks.:wave:

bunnytoes
06-12-2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks.:wave:

Your welcome. I just ordered a big bag of the papaya from Great Companions. It is really for birds but it just dries papaya so fine for her too. Julie had had a bit of a mucky bum from time to time. Since we have this big bag she gets a little each day and I noticed that her bum is completely clean and no more soft poos.

Tinsel
06-12-2011, 06:30 AM
Definitely worth grooming Mr B every day, if you don't already, to reduce the amount he can ingest.

If he's not yet insured suspect you'll have to mention it to them as a pre-existing condition? :?

Barn Yard Bunnies
06-12-2011, 12:25 PM
Definitely worth grooming Mr B every day, if you don't already, to reduce the amount he can ingest.

If he's not yet insured suspect you'll have to mention it to them as a pre-existing condition? :?

Its not his fur he eats. He ate a large chunk of Cutie-pies fur.:roll: He is the strangest rabbit.

GrahamL
06-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Okay, i'm going to throw this one out there.

Have you had him have a FULL check up by a rabbit savvy vet?

Rabbits can do odd things when they don't feel well, eg, drinking their own urine, eating a fecal poop rather than caecal.

Just an idea.

Tuckerbunnies
06-12-2011, 12:29 PM
One of my bunnies Rosie has had to have a big operation due to a blockage of digested fur, she was so full of gas when we got her to the vet's any longer and her tummy would have ruptured and killed her.

Barn Yard Bunnies
06-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Okay, i'm going to throw this one out there.

Have you had him have a FULL check up by a rabbit savvy vet?

Rabbits can do odd things when they don't feel well, eg, drinking their own urine, eating a fecal poop rather than caecal.

Just an idea.

Yes. He was even fostered by one of the staff members at Twickenham. He has been checked twice, when he had his vacs.

Mr Bennett eats anything. He has never refused a thing. I have to pull things out of his mouth, such as door stoppers, draught excluders, shoes, the chinchillas plastic sand box, videos etc. His stomach has been checked as well.

Barn Yard Bunnies
06-12-2011, 12:54 PM
One of my bunnies Rosie has had to have a big operation due to a blockage of digested fur, she was so full of gas when we got her to the vet's any longer and her tummy would have ruptured and killed her.

I remember Rosie's story. That is what got me very worried.

Gemmapookie
06-12-2011, 12:57 PM
Oh gosh, what is he playing at? :shock:

When mine are moulting I give them a small piece of fresh pineapple every few days. They love it and it keeps well in the fridge in a tupperware.

I hope theyre both ok :(

Barn Yard Bunnies
06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Oh gosh, what is he playing at? :shock:

When mine are moulting I give them a small piece of fresh pineapple every few days. They love it and it keeps well in the fridge in a tupperware.

I hope theyre both ok :(

I wish I knew. Will discuss it at the vets tomorrow. Mr Bennett seems fine.

Barn Yard Bunnies
08-12-2011, 09:18 PM
I bought fresh and dried pineapple this afternoon. Mr Bennett doesn't like either. :roll: He seems to eat everything else.

There was no dried papaya at Sainsburys, not in the fruit and vegetable section or the dried fruit section. I will have to see if I can get it some where else.

yvette
08-12-2011, 09:22 PM
Have you tried pineapple juice that ISNT FROM CONCENTRATE??

BB loves the stuff....

bunnytoes
08-12-2011, 09:25 PM
I never met a bunny who did not love pineapple in every form.

Vita
08-12-2011, 09:25 PM
Ooh, he is an awkward little so and so :D :D

If he doesn't like pineapple juice at least it will be nice for the humans to drink.

THE have dried pineapple & papaya for 2. I think I posted a link to it earlier in the thread.

Barn Yard Bunnies
08-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Have you tried pineapple juice that ISNT FROM CONCENTRATE??

BB loves the stuff....

No I didn't buy the juice, I thought the fresh pineapple and dried pineapple would do the trick. Will get some next week or see if they have it at Budgens around the corner.

Barn Yard Bunnies
08-12-2011, 09:41 PM
I never met a bunny who did not love pineapple in every form.

He is a true ratbag. I am hoping I find it gone from the bedroom floor.

Barn Yard Bunnies
08-12-2011, 09:42 PM
Ooh, he is an awkward little so and so :D :D

If he doesn't like pineapple juice at least it will be nice for the humans to drink.

THE have dried pineapple & papaya for 2. I think I posted a link to it earlier in the thread.

Stubborn as a mule comes to mind. :lol:

Jenova
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
Just. :roll:

:lol: He might eat it over night. You know what bunnies are like if it's new they don't like it.

Alibunmum
08-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Just be careful, I know you will but it has been suggested that the massive sugar content in pineapple could cause more harm than any relief it may offer.

Barn Yard Bunnies
08-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Just be careful, I know you will but it has been suggested that the massive sugar content in pineapple could cause more harm than any relief it may offer.

Really. I had no idea. Definately no interest anyway. You wouldn't credit it, mind you he hasn't really eaten much greens either. I normally get kale.

Barn Yard Bunnies
08-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Just. :roll:

:lol: He might eat it over night. You know what bunnies are like if it's new they don't like it.

Exactly. He would eat rubber door stops but not pineapple. :lol:

Alibunmum
08-12-2011, 10:42 PM
Really. I had no idea. Definately no interest anyway. You wouldn't credit it, mind you he hasn't really eaten much greens either. I normally get kale.

It came up a while ago. But hay, hay and more hay will keep things moving so hopefully he's into that!!!

Barn Yard Bunnies
08-12-2011, 10:52 PM
It came up a while ago. But hay, hay and more hay will keep things moving so hopefully he's into that!!!

I missed that. Thankfully he is a hay monster. He spends most of the day, popping in and out of the hutch eating hay. I really have to stop giving him so many crunchies. Mum said he looked fat today. :oops:

GrahamL
09-12-2011, 08:57 AM
I certainly wouldn't feed pineapple for breaking down fur - although the acidity does do it, the other contents of pineapple (inclusive of the MASSIVE sugar content) can break down the good bacteria in the gut and actually cause GI slowdown which would be even worse if it is fur he's passing.

:wave:

Vita
09-12-2011, 09:11 AM
Interesting. Not sure I'll buy pineapple again then, but I'll probably give them the Oxbow tablets in small quantities, like half of one each every couple of days as a preventive.

Lobo
09-12-2011, 11:13 AM
I don't think there is an real evidence to suggest pineapple juice will help with a trichobezoar other than to help break down any ingesta which may be mixed with the hair. The bromelain enzyme in pineapple is a proteolytic i.e. it digests protein but does not seem to break down keratin, the protein in hair. There is some thought that rabbits who eat hair may have a deficiency of magnesium which is present in hair.

Barn Yard Bunnies
09-12-2011, 11:23 AM
I don't think there is an real evidence to suggest pineapple juice will help with a trichobezoar other than to help break down any ingesta which may be mixed with the hair. The bromelain enzyme in pineapple is a proteolytic i.e. it digests protein but does not seem to break down keratin, the protein in hair. There is some thought that rabbits who eat hair may have a deficiency of magnesium which is present in hair.

Very interesting. What foods would he need to get magnesium from ?

I have only had Mr Bennett for nearly 3 months, so have no idea of his diet history.

Lobo
09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
Broccoli, raw plantain, spinach and dried coriander all have good levels of magnesium. I wouldn't rush into loading him up with too much extra as it may not even be the reason he is eating hair. Perhaps adding some of those if he will eat them and just see if it makes any improvement. I had one who would do the same and you are always worrying about blockages. In his case he got blocked the same way as Tuckerbunnies Rosie and had to have the same surgery. Unfortunately I hadn't heard of the magnesium possibility at the time.

Jenson
10-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Interesting. Not sure I'll buy pineapple again then, but I'll probably give them the Oxbow tablets in small quantities, like half of one each every couple of days as a preventive.

Hi. Can I ask what Oxbow tablets could help. We have a fur issue too at the moment and we are desperately hoping he won't need surgery.

Vita
10-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Hi. Can I ask what Oxbow tablets could help. We have a fur issue too at the moment and we are desperately hoping he won't need surgery.

I've no experience of them yet but if you're interested in trying them, they are here: https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Natural+Treats+%252526+Herbs.7/Papaya+Fruit+Plus+%3A+90.134.html (https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/Natural+Treats+%252526+Herbs.7/Papaya+Fruit+Plus+%3A+90.134.html)