• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ways to entertain a very foody bun?

threelittlepigs

Alpha Buck
I adopted Nutmeg from Windwhistle Warren last month and she is a very foody bun. My other bunnies have always been proper grazers, but Nutmeg scoffs her food and will even raid the guinea pigs food bag! None of my other buns would ever do this.

She is still learning to trust me and my question is, what can I do to make feeding a game for her. I have a treat ball which she does play with but I was thinking along the lines of setting up some kind of treasure hunt with her food so that it was a game for her to find it.

Any ideas?:bunny:

Is it a bought treat ball? Have you tried the ones made out of rings from a kitchen roll tube with a pellet or treat insode. Spenser is really funny when I give him one. There is a video of him on here showing how he play with his ball.

A few pellets in a closed eggbox is also worth trying. I haven't done this myself, but apparently it keeps bunnies occupied for quite a while.

Is it a bought treat ball? Have you tried the ones made out of rings from a kitchen roll tube with a pellet or treat insode. Spenser is really funny when I give him one. There is a video of him on here showing how he play with his ball.

A few pellets in a closed eggbox is also worth trying. I haven't done this myself, but apparently it keeps bunnies occupied for quite a while.

I do this and the buns love it! I also use cereal boxes. Also i get toilet roll tubes and poke holes in it with scissors then jam food in the holes. You need to make the holes small so the food is hard to get out. You could also fill a large box with hay and hide treats in the hay

Hello Susie,

Yes, it is a bought treat ball but I was thinking of making one of my own. I have filled an eggbox with veggies for my guinea pigs but putting some pellets in a box for Nutmeg is a great idea. I have an empty lemsip box that would be perfect for pellets!

I do this and the buns love it! I also use cereal boxes. Also i get toilet roll tubes and poke holes in it with scissors then jam food in the holes. You need to make the holes small so the food is hard to get out. You could also fill a large box with hay and hide treats in the hay

Awww! Some more great ideas! I think I will make a carrot baton/loo roll log for Nutmeg. She would really like that! I have some paper bags to fill with hay and I could add some burgess herbs too.

we used packing paper scattered with pellets, kep ours busy for hours! We got a plastic thing with little holes in where you hide the food and he has to work out how to get to it, can't remember who it was made by though

I'd certainly turn the feeding ritual into a enrichment activity.

Scatter feed, don't use bowls, hide food in random places, make her seek it out.

Simple things like loo rolls, stuffed with hay but with a pellet or two in the middle make for great entertainment providing enrichment, playtime, and feed all at the same time and making bunny use brain and brawn to get to the food.

:wave: This blue peter stylee toy was a great hit!

IMGP1115.jpg

Back