• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female Bunny question?

Hello! I am planning on adopting a female bunny from the RSPCA. Now the only problem is, she had a medical issue when she was younger, and now can not be spayed. She's a lovely, lovely bunny, but im worried about the not being able to spay thing.
Will she spray/mark? She would be a house rabbit, so i don't really want her to pee on my carpet/walls.
She also doesnt get along with other bun's so would be a lone rabbit, if this makes any difference.
Please could you give me some info on this?
Thanks
Mia :lol:

I'm afraid it's impossible,to say whether she will spray or not. Some girls who have been spayed will still spray whilst others who haven't been spayed won't. You can ask the people who are looking after her now if she marks her territory a lot in the rescue and they may be able to help.

I am afraid rabbits can be quite destructive in general and although she may not spray you need to be prepared for chewing and scratching of skirting boards, furniture and carpets.

All that said, I really hope you would be able to take her on so she can have a home to call her own.

to add to everything Ali has said, i must also inform you of the dreaded C word.

a very high percentage (~85%) of unspayed does will suffer from uterine cancer by the age of 5 - so this is something to be aware of.

Unfortunately, yes, she may well spray, she may well also be EXTREMELY territorial and aggressive once/if her hormones kick in. She may become destructive, she may spray, she may bite, scratch, box and generally be a little ******, but that's not her fault, it's her hormones.

Perhaps you could discuss with the rescue why she can't be spayed (find out the health issue) and perhaps discuss with a very rabbit savvy vet the possibilities of it possibly being done in the future?

There have been a few buns on here who have thought to be unspayable - but then through everything, it was possible. One of those was my Ginger's sister, who has all manner of things wrong, but through all odds, was able to be spayed.

Back