• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

UD Bond improving. They seem ok together.

Barn Yard Bunnies

Staff member
Been home about 15 minutes. The main concern is to get Cutie-pie to eat. She nibbled a strand of hay, some plantain and half a crunchie, but seems more interested in searching for Mr Bennett who was under the bed in the other room.

They passed in the hallway and he went into the hutch. Cutie-pie went wandering under the bed. So I went into the kitchen. Came back and Cutie-pie was chasing Mr Bennett, then he turned around and was really nipping at her bottom. (An ongoing problem he has).

There was a huge patch of her fur and he went up and ate the lot. I couldn't stop him.

I put them in the hutch and he has gone for her again. I stopped them but she is terrified. :cry:

What am I going to do ?

Last edited:
Oh Amanda, can you have them together with a partition beteeen them so they can see and sniff each other but not fight? Just till you get your girl munching again.

I'd keep them separate for now and leave her in the hutch in the dark with lots of food. Sounds as if the separation has unbalanced things but it might only be temporary. I had that happen a few times and the buns have always re-bonded but better to wait until she's feeling stronger to attempt it, perhaps with a car-journey....

ETA Partition meanwhile would be ideal..

Oh Amanda, can you have them together with a partition beteeen them so they can see and sniff each other but not fight? Just till you get your girl munching again.

Can't think of what to use to divide the hutch, it would be so small as well.

Thank goodness since I took him out and locked him out Cutie-pie is nomming on some hay. Mr Bennett is under the bed and James said he looks angry.

Never had a bonding problem before and I am so confused. Scared too as Cutie-pie is still recovering. She didn't eat a thing in the vets in the 23 hours she was there. And am worrying Mr Bennett could have caused her to go into statis. Can that happen ?

He's probably feeling her weakness and that's giving him a reason to bully her OR she smells different, she smells of the vets.
Im sorry I know how it feels to see two buns falling out. :(

Thanks everyone. They are separate. I will have to find something as a litter tray.

I am pleased to say Cutie-pie is now tucking into pellets.

Mr Bennett won't come out from under the bed.

Checked Cutie-pie over and there are no injuries. Quite a bit of fur sticking out around her bottom.

Tinsel, this is an ongoing problem with Mr Bennett, his first 2 bonds failed at ARC.

I really don't think you can leave them together, have you anyway to keep them separated totally? Maybe using the carrier as a base for one of them?

It could be that him chasing her has caused the problem or it could be he senses she isn't well and thats why he is picking on her. I am so sorry, this is all you need on top of her illness.

I really don't think you can leave them together, have you anyway to keep them separated totally? Maybe using the carrier as a base for one of them?

It could be that him chasing her has caused the problem or it could be he senses she isn't well and thats why he is picking on her. I am so sorry, this is all you need on top of her illness.

Cutie-pie is in the hutch and he can't get in. She needs the hutch for comfort while she recovers.

The carrier is an open top one.

I'm so sorry! I know nothing of bonding but can be practical...do you have a room (kitchen? Bathroom?) you could bun-proof for the evening? Let Mr B hang out in there overnight, and let CP have her r and r. I would then put them in the same room tomorrow (she safe in hutch, he out and about) and see what the atmosphere's like?

Hope it all works out.

xxx

Thanks everyone, have been doing some rearranging. Not sure what use I have done.

Cutie-pie pushed the door open (she has done this before) and is in the main bedroom on her blanket. Mr Bennett is shut in the other room.

I am so tired and stressed, I don't really know what I am doing.

I'm so sorry. Thinking of you all as this must be so stressful. Hope some of the advice others have given you proves helpful. xxx

Thanks everyone, have been doing some rearranging. Not sure what use I have done.

Cutie-pie pushed the door open (she has done this before) and is in the main bedroom on her blanket. Mr Bennett is shut in the other room.

I am so tired and stressed, I don't really know what I am doing.

You're doing fine. Make sure Mr Bennett is somewhere he can't eat your valuables and get some rest or give Cutie Pie some cuddles. Maybe tomorrow when she smells less like the vets they'll be better together.

Poor you and little Cutie-Pie. Sending big ((((Hugs))))) xxx

I have heard of this happening before when one bun comes home from the vet. You are doing everything right xxx

I do hope that this works out for them both but as you say Bennett has had a couple of problems previously so you will need to tred carefully.

One of the bunnies that Mr Bennett divorced before he came to you married one of our rabbits and settled very well with him so I do wonder if Bennett has a problem :-( as the lady rabbit in question bonded up really easily.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is just a blip.

I do hope that this works out for them both but as you say Bennett has had a couple of problems previously so you will need to tred carefully.

One of the bunnies that Mr Bennett divorced before he came to you married one of our rabbits and settled very well with him so I do wonder if Bennett has a problem :-( as the lady rabbit in question bonded up really easily.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is just a blip.

I do think Mr Bennett has a problem. Discussed it with my partner and my partner said we have to keep him and we will. (I had no doubts but I needed his reassurance). He maybe a total pain in the butt, but our total pain in the butt. If Cutie-pie can't handle him, who will.

If the worst happens, they will have to live inside separately. We can't consider another bunny for Cutie-pie, so she will have to be single too. Not the space or the money unfortunately.

Last edited:
Perhaps living side my side but separated by mesh if they don't rebond. Not sure how you'd do it though. But that way they would still have company.

Perhaps living side my side but separated by mesh if they don't rebond. Not sure how you'd do it though. But that way they would still have company.

Good idea. We have a massive hallway. Easy to cut them off from each other and they can still have a bedroom each. Only have to decide which bedroom to give to Mr Bennett to trash more.:lol:

Starting to get embarrassed, all the threads on Mr Bennett. :oops: You know we haven't even had him 3 months yet. What an impact he has had.

Starting to get embarrassed, all the threads on Mr Bennett. :oops: You know we haven't even had him 3 months yet. What an impact he has had.
:shock: I arrived on the forum 2 months ago and he seemed like an RU institution already!

What a handful he is. Best of luck with this and I hope you get things sorted out soon.

Back