• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just 'winterised' the hutch!

steveg

Warren Scout
Hi folks,

Recycling day today where I stay, so just walked around and collected loads of cardboard.

Peter's 6x2.5x2.5 hutch now has cardboard flooring and walls inside his bedding area.

Externally we have carboard over the bedroom door and two layers of tarpaulin over the back and sides, and halfway down the front. A blanket hangs half way down the front too. Also have a carpet over the top, under the tarpaulin.

Finally, a sheet of plywood, gives a good 12' overhang at the front.

Not sure what else we can do.

He's in playing just now but outside it's bitter - currently -2!

Haven't posted for a while but this forum was great for us when we first got Peter, so just wanted to let you know how we're going to tackle the winter ahead!

:wave: I was wondering how you were getting on with Peter! How is he? It sounds like you've got his hutch sorted :) with it being so cold now though, it's not good to bring him into the warm and then put him back outside, the dramatic temperature changes can make a bun very ill. It's better to either leave him permanently outside so he can acclimatise or bring him in for the winter :wave:

Thanks folks. Yeah, a friend would be good but 'she who must be obeyed' is not convinced. I've also read some horror stories about bonding, although I'm sure we'd get there in the end.

I've read all about the temperature change thing. The room we take him into we leave very cool, and I've just ordered a snugsafe which should help matters.

He absolutely loves coming into the house and to leave him outside on his own just seems cruel to me.

If he had a friend it would not seem so bad but I'm not there yet.

He's doing great. Had him for about nine months now. At his myxo booster the vet said he was three kilos and that's the weight we should aim to keep him at, although it's hard not to spoil him!!

Glad Peter's doing well. :D

Lots of rescues would do the bonding for you, if that would allay your partner's fears?

As for the bun - you'll probably find that he's a bit silly and sits out in the cold, bunnies are like that. Defiant. :lol: As long as he has lots of hay to burrow himself in, he'll be fine.

:wave:

Thanks folks. Yeah, a friend would be good but 'she who must be obeyed' is not convinced. I've also read some horror stories about bonding, although I'm sure we'd get there in the end.

I've read all about the temperature change thing. The room we take him into we leave very cool, and I've just ordered a snugsafe which should help matters.

He absolutely loves coming into the house and to leave him outside on his own just seems cruel to me.

If he had a friend it would not seem so bad but I'm not there yet.

He's doing great. Had him for about nine months now. At his myxo booster the vet said he was three kilos and that's the weight we should aim to keep him at, althoug h it's hard not to spoil him!!

Aw, im glad he is not just left on his own all the time. could you just keep him in all the time through the winter instead of putting him back out? You could always bargain with OH to say that you will let him back out if he can have a friend :lol: 2 is just the same to look after than one. it must be cold and lonely for him out there all by himself. :(

Back