• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

feeling upset about rabbits :(

traceymadigan

Warren Scout
Having a bad day and just needed to rant to people who understand ,i recently bought two wendy houses from b and q and insulated and boarded them out and put cushion floor down ,"which has already been chewed":roll:,around the doors were a bit drafty so we screwed thin plywood on the outside to make a lip which seemed to work ,

Anyway this morning i got up and went out to see to the rabbits and the rain and hail we had last night has somehow got inside the door and the floor was soaking ,i have just been and bought thick plastic sheeting and put that right across the front of the wendy house so it covers the window and door ,i am hoping this will help .
I just feel so upset ,i really try to do my best but something always seems wrong and i hate the rabbits being outside in winter as i feel the cold so it seems cruel to them ,i was even thinking of buying dog cages and bringing them all in but i have 7 altogether in three groups so really do not have space and it would mean thye would be confined to the cage which would also be cruel ,i am even thinking they would be better with someone else where they could be house bunnies :(

My rex charlie and his partner clover were inside until aug of this year and i am especially worried about these as charlies feet are a bit sore since he has been outside even though he was fine on the cushion floor in the kitchen and also clover who is a lion head does not seem to have a very thick coat ,so maybe these two would be better uinside but then feels mean on the others ,i just dont know ,it will prob all feel a bit better tom just really stressed at the mo .
Anyway thanks if anybody read this its just my friends think i am mad and needed to tell someone xx

Hi there. I know what you mean about your friends. I get lots of raised eybrows too.

Do the buns seem happy though? I know we stress about them like mad all the time but they just seem to be fine and clearly not very interested in our stresses. :D

I know its horrid when you go to so much effort only to find that something has gone wrong and that does seem bad that they leaked the water in.

Hope your feeling better now that you have let off a bit of steam and that the plastic sheet does its job. :wave:

Oh dear, don't feel bad though you've been brilliant to them, I'm sure a plastic sheet will stop the leaks, and maybe you could add a ledge or something into the wendyhouses just incase it did happen again? Wild rabbits live outside (well underground) and have to graze in this horrible weather, our domestic rabbits are perfectly capable of living outside, don't forget they've got a thick coat of fur over all their body (I believe rabbit fur/wool is one of the warmest too?), plenty of hay/straw and maybe a snugglesafe or two they'll be cosy :)

I know exactly how you feel, I have 7 single bunnies, all awaiting bonding, every time I try to move things forward to them going in the kennel etc, something goes wrong!!

No matter how hard I try to imporve their lives, nothing works!

Thanks all ,they have piles of hay and snugglesafe ,i did buy small kennels for them but they wont go inside and just sleep on the roof :roll:,thanks for the replies ,i just get so worried about them in the winter and get stressed xx

Thanks all ,they have piles of hay and snugglesafe ,i did buy small kennels for them but they wont go inside and just sleep on the roof :roll:,thanks for the replies ,i just get so worried about them in the winter and get stressed xx

Little monkeys - they can't be cold though, or they'd be in them. People on here often complain about their rabbits sitting in the run in the snow! If they were bothered about it, they'd be snuggled up inside. We all worry though!

Back