• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Missing Patches of Fur

nessar

Warren Veteran
Just noticed that Annabelle has two patches of missing fur, one very small patch on her ear and another one bigger but still small (about the size of a bean) that is on her back, slightly hidden by her mane. No reddness or bites or scabs, just missing fur. She definately didnt have the ear one yesterday, and probably not the back one.

Obviously I will be getting it checked at the vets, but my question is should I take her asap, or wait and see if it gets worse/changes? I'm a bit worried the vet will dismiss it asme over-reacting.

And any ideas as to what it could be? It looks like the fur has just been pulled out, but I doubt her partner would have done it, they have never fought or bitten each other, and he hasnt humped her since they were bonding, and he's not fast enough to catch her anyway. Checked him over and he is fine, but does have a little dry skin on his ears. The only thing I have noticed which is weird is that they kicked loads of their litter tray out of it last night, and churned it all up, digging a bit is normal but this isnt usually. I thought mites or fleas but no idea where they would get them and I would expect to see signs on Barney as well, and she hasnt been itching or grooming more than usual.

Hey, thanks for replying :)

No, no vaccs recently, I think her last one was in August.

Had a good look at her today and I've lost the bigger patch, cant find it :? and checked the rest of her and cant see any other patches. Really odd. My friend said it could be her moulting, and she is, but I havent seen them get missing patches of fur before from it.

Back