• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buns shed freezing cold

Kirsty2oo9

Alpha Buck
My buns have got a concrete shed(which has a large window)its a really light and airy shed with a run attatched they have access to the run all day from 6am til about 10pm anyways at night I block the catflap off so they only have the shed, its absolutely freezing in there.. Any ideas how to make it warmer or anything to give the buns to keep them warmer they've got a hay tub and a couple of blankets but they don't bother with the blankets,I'm gettin a snugglesafe :) anyway any ideas tips? Thx x

in the very cold weather i put cardboard on the floor as a bit of extra warmth and also give them cardboard boxes with a couple of holes cut in and stuffed with hay. they seem snug as a bug in them... mine don't use the blankets either but love the boxes.
i went into my shed a few mornings ago worrying about the cold (mine the same as you have access to a run between 7 and 10 but i lock them in on a night) i picked buddy up and he was toasty warm! they all have good thick coats and when the weather gets really bad i do use snuggle safes but it never stops you worrying! :roll:

If you do a search on here for tubular heaters these are something that many people on here use in their sheds they are low cost to run and keep the chill off the air and just above freezing when it gets really cold!

If your shed has room you could get one of those rubbish tiny hutches (or make a box with ply) take the small door off and stuff with hay and straw so they have a place they can go and burrow in if they want!

Last edited:
I have thick rubber matting on the floor & I pile hay on top in cold weather. There's some NIC cages with sacking & towels on so they can get off the floor, or stay under it. I've also got a couple of pet carriers stuffed with hay down
Cat flap is flappable but shuts after them - mesh windows have sacking over them overnight, Snugglesafes when temp reaches zero

Thx for the replies i think im going to get some cardboard boxes and fill them with hay even tho last time i tried that they peed all over them :roll: I might buy a second hand little hutch aswel take the door off it and fill it with straw so they can snuggle up :), Angie65 do you have a pic of ur rubber flooring? :D ive posted a pic of my shed as it is now b4 i make it warmer.. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?322521-Buns-shed&p=5137938#post5137938

My buns were kept in the summerhouse last winter. It is a block built building with large windows. I remember their bowls of water would freeze in there but they seemed very happy hopping around. I think they can cope with the cold just not getting wet and cold. As long as they are dry then I am sure they will be fine. :)

Thx for the replies i think im going to get some cardboard boxes and fill them with hay even tho last time i tried that they peed all over them :roll: I might buy a second hand little hutch aswel take the door off it and fill it with straw so they can snuggle up :), Angie65 do you have a pic of ur rubber flooring? :D ive posted a pic of my shed as it is now b4 i make it warmer.. http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?322521-Buns-shed&p=5137938#post5137938

Only if you add me on FB:oops::lol:

Back