• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Female rabbits and mother instincts

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
So, I spend quite a lot of time just watching the bunnies interact with eachother etc. as I find it quite fascinating :oops::lol: And one thing that I've been noticing lately with my Boris Boo being poorly is how Bella's attitude towards him has changed quite a bit. She seems to be more gentle somehow and not so snobby :lol: If that makes sense. She was always the one demanding nose rubs and kisses, now Boris gets groomed quite a lot. Also on days when he's been really under the weather she has barely left his side at all. There was a day when he was very poorly and more or less refused to come out of the cage. The cage is probably one of Bella's least favourite places to relax after a "hard" day of being a rabbit, she only goes in there to poo/wee etc. But still, she sat there next to him. All day. Kissing him occasionally but mostly just sitting there.

This makes me wonder, do you think female rabbits have some kind of mother instinct, like an urge to take care of someone who is poorly or hurting? She has been acting in a similar way around me whenever I've been feeling down or unwell. Boris never seems to pick up on that kind of stuff, but Bella does, everytime. She sits next to me and grooms me for ages, and just seems quite anxious, as if she's worried. Does anyone else's girl act like this too?

So, I spend quite a lot of time just watching the bunnies interact with eachother etc. as I find it quite fascinating :oops::lol: And one thing that I've been noticing lately with my Boris Boo being poorly is how Bella's attitude towards him has changed quite a bit. She seems to be more gentle somehow and not so snobby :lol: If that makes sense. She was always the one demanding nose rubs and kisses, now Boris gets groomed quite a lot. Also on days when he's been really under the weather she has barely left his side at all. There was a day when he was very poorly and more or less refused to come out of the cage. The cage is probably one of Bella's least favourite places to relax after a "hard" day of being a rabbit, she only goes in there to poo/wee etc. But still, she sat there next to him. All day. Kissing him occasionally but mostly just sitting there.

This makes me wonder, do you think female rabbits have some kind of mother instinct, like an urge to take care of someone who is poorly or hurting? She has been acting in a similar way around me whenever I've been feeling down or unwell. Boris never seems to pick up on that kind of stuff, but Bella does, everytime. She sits next to me and grooms me for ages, and just seems quite anxious, as if she's worried. Does anyone else's girl act like this too?

I think so :) We have a quad, Blossom is the female boss, and Bella is "the runt". Bella once escaped out of the run over night but luckily stayed in the garden and didn't venture to the main road.....when I reunited them all, Blossom rushed straight over and gave Bella her first ever groom that I've ever seen......Blossom is usually nipping Bella so it was lovely to see her welcome Bella back. I always think Thumper and Blossom act like the parents of the younger two anyway :thumb:

Smoo looks after Grim who is unwell. I believe she mothers him. But when she was unwell I saw Grim washing her and he never does that! I have two softie buns but they're so sweet. :love:
Rabbits pick up on things very well.

I think so :) We have a quad, Blossom is the female boss, and Bella is "the runt". Bella once escaped out of the run over night but luckily stayed in the garden and didn't venture to the main road.....when I reunited them all, Blossom rushed straight over and gave Bella her first ever groom that I've ever seen......Blossom is usually nipping Bella so it was lovely to see her welcome Bella back. I always think Thumper and Blossom act like the parents of the younger two anyway :thumb:

Aww, that's a lovely story :love: I love the thought of the older two acting like parents. So sweet :)

Back