• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Distraught. My dog attacked Ruby this aft. She's gone. :(

RubyGordy

Alpha Buck
Am beside myself. :(

Cleaned out the bun house this afternoon. Put in new hay racks. Only just recently made them a ramp to a cosy area on the second level and put in an old blanket box for them to use as an extra hidey area. Got it all looking cosy and, while they were devouring the Timothy hay I put in, went inside to make their veggies. Went into the kitchen and when I came back to the living room Ruby was there, lying awkwardly on the floor. Her head was tilted and she couldn't stand. Rushed her over to the A & E vets over the other side of town and the vet discovered a puncture wound on her neck. I'd left the door to the garden 'to' and so she must have come inside and Fresca got hold of her while I was in the kitchen. The vet said it looked like there was spinal damage and possibly even that her neck was broken. She was pretty much out of it and he thought it would be kindest to let her go.

I'm distraught. Ruby was always the outgoing, more affectionate one of the two. Always up for a cuddle, always up to no good, like nibbling at my trouser bottoms or sticking her nose into everything I was doing. She even used to run around Fresca when they were outside and Fresca would never mind. I've always discouraged her from coming inside but even so, Ruby has often sneaked into the flat, had a look under the bed, pooped everywhere, played with my fridge wire and eventually gone out again. Fresca never liked her coming in - but would never do anything other than occasionally try to block her way.

I can't believe it. I now have Wesley on his own wondering where his wife is. I don't know what to do. I can't bear for him to be on his own but I always said I'd not get more rabbits when they'd gone. Do I take in another - or rehome him? Would Fresca still tolerate buns running round the garden? I'm not sure I can trust her now.

Totally gutted. :cry:

I'm so sorry, you must be devastated. :(:( Why not give yourself and Wesley some time to grieve for Ruby before you decide what's for the best.

Huge hugs. xxx

I'm so sorry :(

Only you can know what's best for Wesley. What I would personally consider is how old he is and how you feel you would cope with another bun. Don't go rushing in to any decisions, take some time to mull it over.

I would definitely be very careful about keeping Fresca and Wesley apart from now on, although I'm sure you would already have thought that.
The fact she didn't like the rabbits coming in the house was a warning sign really, so it's not worth risking again.

It doesn't really matter what Fresca would feel about rabbits running around the garden so long as you make sure that she's shut in the house. You can still give Wesley and any future rabbits supervised free range time, just be careful about shutting doors.

Thanks. Can't stop blubbing.

Wesley's only young still - I rehomed him from Chris at Starlight. I always wondered how he would cope if she died first. Now I'm going to find out. He's such a shy, timid thing. He always gets upset after a vet visit and takes a day or two to get over it. It was he who went down with GI stasis a couple of times, too, for no obvious reason, whereas Ruby was always as fit as a fiddle. I always thought she'd just carry on regardless if he died first as she was so cheeky - but how he will react, I don't know. And winter is coming. :cry:

Oh no, I'm absolutely gutted for you :cry: what a horrible accident, and it's left you with a horrible dilemma :cry: as you probably know, starlights has now closed so there's no formal rescue to return him to, but as it was me who fostered him from his arrival until his rehoming, If i can sort some decent accommodation I would help you out if you did decide that is what you wanted to do. But don't make any decisions while things are so raw - give yourselves both time to grieve while you decide what's best for the little chap. Hugs to you x x

I'm sorry binky free ruby.

Don't make any harsh decisions at the minute- time is a great healer. Hugs: x

Hi Santa - I didn't know Starlight's had closed. Not really been on here much, lately, to be honest.

Thanks for your offer of help. I really need to think about it. So many questions - he and Ruby were almost inseperable.
I always felt happy that they could run around the garden with Fresca there as well but, while Wesley never tried to come inside, I've no idea how Fresca would be even around him, now. It was always nice to be able to let them run round and not worry if she was sitting out with them. Her only gripe was Ruby trying to come in - and she was a monkey for wanting to, probably because she used to be a house bun before I got her, and used to nosing round houses, I guess.

Will keep in touch. X

Back