• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How on earth do you clip nails without any help?

esupi

Warren Veteran
Normally OH and I do this together and it is always traumatic. Basically involves him pinning the rabbits down very tightly onto the table while I try to manoeuvre in and out to clip their nails. If we try to switch roles, I can't hold them - they wriggle so much and I'm afraid to hold them too tight and end up hurting them. We've tried many different ways of doing it but this is the only way we've managed it.

OH is away now for 3 weeks and they need doing. I've been trying to do it myself, hoping that I can find a way to hold them that they will trust me, but they just seem so terrified of the whole experience and so determined to escape. I've even tried as a last resort putting them onto their backs, which works for a short time but not long enough for me to actually do any clipping.

I tried the 'burrito' thing, but they just wriggle out of it, and if I do get them in it properly then their feet are trapped and I can't do the clipping!

I'm now thinking of booking them into the vets to be done, but it just seems ridiculous that I can't do it, and I'd also rather not stress them out with the car journey.

So - any other tips? I'm completely at a loss now :(
Thanks!

I don't know how you would do it by yourself as even when I take Buckley to the vets to get his done the vet still needs me to hold him in order to get at his tootsies.
Hopefully someone who is magical and has succeeded in solo nail clipping will be along soon to impart their infinite wisdom of all things nail clippy :) xo

Are there any pet sitters or dog groomers locally who are able to clip rabbit claws, to save them the journey to the vets?

I don't know how you would do it by yourself as even when I take Buckley to the vets to get his done the vet still needs me to hold him in order to get at his tootsies.
Hopefully someone who is magical and has succeeded in solo nail clipping will be along soon to impart their infinite wisdom of all things nail clippy :) xo

Glad it's not just me. I've searched online for tips and found some very unhelpful videos of people sitting with a perfectly still bunny on their laps happily letting them get on with it!

Normally OH and I do this together and it is always traumatic. Basically involves him pinning the rabbits down very tightly onto the table while I try to manoeuvre in and out to clip their nails. If we try to switch roles, I can't hold them - they wriggle so much and I'm afraid to hold them too tight and end up hurting them. We've tried many different ways of doing it but this is the only way we've managed it.

My only suggestion is try get over worrying you'll hurt them, you NEED a firm grip otherwise most rabbits will just take the opportunity and wriggle or run away, and try different ways of holding them, mine are all used to claw clipping so sit quietly but at work experience there were about 50 rabbits there (including babies) from the skittiest mini lop I've ever met and a lot of skitty conti's, when I clip claws I need one hand to hold the paw and the other to clip so I usually have one arm covering their head so they can't go forwards and the other arm around their back/side which worked for them all

Also, if they'll sit still for a bit but not long enough for you to look for the quick on each nail, just don't cut past the fur and you shouldn't hit the quick, and do it quickly rather than slowly as that puts pressure on the claw and I find that's the only time mine struggle

My only suggestion is try get over worrying you'll hurt them, you NEED a firm grip otherwise most rabbits will just take the opportunity and wriggle or run away, and try different ways of holding them, mine are all used to claw clipping so sit quietly but at work experience there were about 50 rabbits there (including babies) from the skittiest mini lop I've ever met and a lot of skitty conti's, when I clip claws I need one hand to hold the paw and the other to clip so I usually have one arm covering their head so they can't go forwards and the other arm around their back/side which worked for them all

Also, if they'll sit still for a bit but not long enough for you to look for the quick on each nail, just don't cut past the fur and you shouldn't hit the quick, and do it quickly rather than slowly as that puts pressure on the claw and I find that's the only time mine struggle

It sounds like you've developed a good technique. How does putting arms around them hold them? Mine just jump over! Basically in order to immobilise them, I need both hands, and even then it's a struggle, and doesn't leave any hands free to hold paws or clip. I wish they'd just remember that it doesn't hurt and that it feels better after and let me get on with it!

It sounds like you've developed a good technique. How does putting arms around them hold them? Mine just jump over! Basically in order to immobilise them, I need both hands, and even then it's a struggle, and doesn't leave any hands free to hold paws or clip. I wish they'd just remember that it doesn't hurt and that it feels better after and let me get on with it!

it's hard to explain, but both arms go over the rabbit (not under so they can climb over), the one closest to the head goes over the head while you hold the paw (and the arm/elbow is securing the front of the rabbit) and then with your other arm (depending on how longs your arms are I guess) clip the claws and use your arm/elbow to secure the side or back of your rabbit

argh - just tried it but I just cannot hold them without using my hands! Think I am going to give up!

Not much help to you I am afraid if you are on your own. We have just finishing cutting nails of all our three. My daughter tips them up, holding bum with one hand and under front legs/round chest with other, while I clip nails, proved very successful, Peter a bit grumpy, Tilly we have to keep stopping because she is easily stressed and Murphy is just so not bothered (he is a ex show rescue rabbit, so guess he is used to it.:D

I just get down on the floor with them and stroke them and sneak the clippers to a nail and 'CLIP' they don't even realise until it's too late and the nail is gone! :D Then you begin the stroking process again until they relax and sneak to the next nail. :)

Am no help but just wanted to say, I can't do it either!! Am such a wimp, I either go to the vets or my nice boarding lady does them for me!!

I can quite easily trim my buns nails on my own, so long as I'm sitting down. Georgie and Frank will happily go on their back for the minute it takes for me to do it. Petal will not go on her back, but held in place upright, I can do it easily by turning her round to access left and right sides.

I can quite easily trim my buns nails on my own, so long as I'm sitting down. Georgie and Frank will happily go on their back for the minute it takes for me to do it. Petal will not go on her back, but held in place upright, I can do it easily by turning her round to access left and right sides.

This. A lot of people trance their buns like this to do it, my vet does it. I dont do it myself but if you cant get a friend to come over and help you may have to weigh up the pros and cons of taking them to the vet vs trancing them.

On the other hand, cant they wait till you can bribe a friend or relative to come over and help?

This. A lot of people trance their buns like this to do it, my vet does it. I dont do it myself but if you cant get a friend to come over and help you may have to weigh up the pros and cons of taking them to the vet vs trancing them.

On the other hand, cant they wait till you can bribe a friend or relative to come over and help?

I wouldn't hesitate to trance them tbh - if I could! I know it's stressful for them, but I think it has to be less stressful than struggling and struggling over and over again. Might try this again actually now they've had a couple of days off.

I don't think a friend could help tbh - if I can't even hold them myself, and I'm used to handling them, then I don't think anyone else would stand a chance.

I think all of you who can just do it must have relatively calm rabbits!

There is quite a number of 'you tube' videos on how to cut bunny nails if you are stuck :wave:

Hi Maysie! Thanks - I've seen a few videos, but generally of ones where they are just happily sitting letting their owner cut away!
I have managed to get a couple of Fudge's while she's been eating her pellets, so that might work - going to work on getting at them while they're distracted. :)

I wouldn't hesitate to trance them tbh - if I could! I know it's stressful for them, but I think it has to be less stressful than struggling and struggling over and over again. Might try this again actually now they've had a couple of days off.

I don't think a friend could help tbh - if I can't even hold them myself, and I'm used to handling them, then I don't think anyone else would stand a chance.

I think all of you who can just do it must have relatively calm rabbits!

I think Elena does them herself and she her Smudge and Nutmeg are skittish ones, maybe PM her?

OMG - can't believe it but I have just managed to 'do' Fudge! Knelt on the floor and got her with her back to me, her butt wedged between my legs and holding her front legs. She tried to escape a couple of times and then just sat and let me clip her front claws! Then I just lifted her up so she was sort of tilted backwards with her back legs on my knee, and she just kept sitting there and let me do that back ones! :love:

All I can think is that she had scoffed so much tea she was a bit like a 'beached whale' and couldn't move. Tried the same with Truffle and only managed to get 1 little nail though.

Try putting them in their carriers and taking them to your car. Take them for a short drive and put the radio on to scare them, then clip them in the car. This is what I do with Max and Charlotte who are a nightmare to handle, and i find it makes it much easier as they tend to freeze.

If you dont have a car maybe take them for a short walk in their carrier :wave:

Back