• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you get rid of EC spores inside a house?

lja401

Warren Scout
Hi all
As our lovely Noel more than likely has EC I wanted to know about the cleaning process. I have been doing a lot of reading on EC but am still unsure about what we should be doing regarding bleaching etc. Both Noel and Milly are indoor rabbits and gave their own room along with access to pretty much anywhere in the house. There is a possibility that we could move them out into my boyfriend's parents' house. Should we buy them a new cage etc? What should we do with their litter trays and the carpet in their room? Also what should we do with the sofa and carpet in the lounge? They always jump on it.
I just want to do the best for them.
Thank you.

Hi all
Should we rip up the carpet in their room? We have disinfected their cage and are cleaning their litter trays every day. What else should we be doing? Thank you x

Your vet should know the answers.

I would also bump this thread in the morning, so the people who arent at work will see it, and then around 6 when it really gets busy when people get home from work :wave: I'd keep it in rabbit chat as it will get more views, but you'll have to keep bumping it to keep it in view, as its a busy section.

unfortunately I dont know the answer to the question but didnt want to read and run.

Could you hire a carpet cleaner and use a veterinary disinfecting solution to kill the EC?

You need to fully disinfect on days 21 and 28 of panacuring. I treat for 6 weeks so I do another at the end. Personally I replace litter trays and chew toys and food bowls at these times too.
Not all disinfectant kills ec. Steam cleaning does. I steam clean then use a heavy duty disinfectant like jayes or my vets gave me tri-something.

I bleach hard surfaces like trays etc - days 21 and 28.

Boiling water also kills as far as I know so I'd imagine you could steam clean soft furnishings like carpets.

Back