• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit vs boyfriend

Jamie

Warren Scout
Saw 2 bunnies todY that I feel I could offer an amazing home to. The first has been burnt badly. But he is friendly and loves other animals. The other has an ongoing eye problem. I can afford to lOok after them both and give them a fab life. But my bf is saying no. How can I walk way from these babies? Help!!!!!!!! X

Do you live with him? What are his reasons for saying no?

If he doesn't live with you, and you can afford them/his reasons aren't valid... Ignore him! :lol:

As long as you arent expecting him to pay for them or care for them I dont see why he should have a say, but if you live with him then you cant really get them if he is that unhappy about it (but you can persuade him).

Be aware though that the vet bills for these rabbits could be expensive and ongoing, and as they already have these problems insurance would class it as an exclusion. A runny eye could possibly point to snuffles or dental issues. If you can afford it though, you'd be giving these buns a chance at living happily and getting the right care, which many homes wouldnt have been able to, or wouldnt want to give them. These buns are unlikely to get many offers of homes, so if you can, and you want to, go for it!

if you can afford to look after them, you have the room for them and you strongly feel drawn to helping them then get them. rabbits over bf anytime! :lol:

I was once told by a policeman some very good advice

"it is easier to achive acceptance for what you have done than to achieve a yes before you do it"

In other words, do it, say sorry and he will eventually accept it, otherwise he might never say yes :lol: it must be ok it was a policeman that told me.

There are a few factors to consider here:

*Why is he saying no? Is he allergic? Are you expecting him to pay for their upkeep? Is he scared of them?

*How commited a relationship are you in? Have you been together long? Do you live together?

*In what way is he saying no? Is he really serious about it or do you think he could be persuaded without damaging your relationship?

*Can you really afford it? Buns are expensive little critters, especially with health issues.

* Do you have the space for them to be happy - Their enclosure needs to be at least 6ft x 6ft.

*Do you have other pets that need to be considered? A noisy excitable dog for instance?

* Do you have children - how old are they? Are they sensible?

* Do you own your own place? Bear in mind if you have to move you may not find somewhere else that allows pets.

*Would they have to be kept indoors or is a shed/outdoor enclosure a possibility? You may find that they're too destructive to stay indoors.

Ok, that's the boring sensible stuff you need to ask yourself, but if you do have all the right resons to go for it and your boyf doesn't have any real reason for saying no, then :thumb:

Just bear in mind that even if you get them & he has to accept it, a year down the line he may sign a lease on a property with no garden & expect you to move there without them. Or is that just me?:roll::lol:

Back