• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vibes for Brownie please - u/d she's gone :(

KateB

Mama Doe
Our lovely Brownie has just gone to the vets for the second time this week, earlier we were concerned that she had done a very funny coloured wee, and has been gradually getting worse and worse at using the litter tray (must be driving her tidy husbun nuts!).

Vet tested urine sample, no blood, not excesses of calcium but elevated protein levels, so thought it may be a low-level UTI, prescribing Septrin and Metacam.

This morning Brownie is moving very slowly and is quite wheezy, she did take a couple of pellets but was keeping her head deliberately high and chewing slowly whilst she ate, so is now back at the vets (whilst I babysit)

As she has head-tilt from suspected EC 18months ago, we are thinking this may be a respiratory infection related to her windpipe no longer staying straight most of the time, hopefully vet will shed more light.

In the meantime, please send any spare vibes and advice.

(posted by KateB's OH)

Last edited:
oh no :cry:
Sending lots of vibes for your lovely girl and hugs to you xxx
( will ring you tomorrow and catch up xxx)

Now back from the vets - it's suspected pneumonia :cry: so she and Willow have moved into the dining room (much to E's disgust, as I think she thought the blankets were for her!).

She's on Metacam and Baytril, which desn't seem like enough to me but I ran out of ways to ask the vet if there was anything else we could do for her.

I think she's going to need all the vibes she can to make it through the weekend:cry:

Poor girl :cry:

Did the Vet suggest admission for Intensive Care including oxygen therapy and medication via injection ?

Millions of vibes for her.

Did the Vet suggest admission for Intensive Care including oxygen therapy and medication via injection ?

Millions of vibes for her.

no - no offer of admission or oxygen. Not our usual vet unfortunately.
Vet did administer metacam and baytril by injection, and we have the baytril for the weekend to do by injection (eep!) but still doing the metacam orally. Have appt for Monday morning and the number for the out of hours vets.

B was on oral metcam and septrin from thursday (which to be fair looks to have helped with the funny wee as she's just done a beautiful clear yellow one in the middle of dining room!). Vet was quite gloomy as B's symtoms have developed since being on these meds. Sufficiently gloomy that I was surprised she wasn't advocating PTS.

But in the good news, B seems to have perked since getting home and has eaten dandelion leaves, and is drinking and hopping about to explore the indoor pen, and her breathing seems a little easier.

Thanks for the vibes guys! Please keep them coming!

She's struggling a bit more again - all the exploring is wearing her out :( she's still having occasional nibbles and drinks and pottering but mostly just sitting and breathing.

Don't know how long we should wait to see if the meds are taking effect? I don't want to rush her off to a vets too soon as the car journeys really stressed her. But I don't want to let her suffer either :?

Thanks for the vibes guys! Please keep them coming!

She's struggling a bit more again - all the exploring is wearing her out :( she's still having occasional nibbles and drinks and pottering but mostly just sitting and breathing.

Don't know how long we should wait to see if the meds are taking effect? I don't want to rush her off to a vets too soon as the car journeys really stressed her. But I don't want to let her suffer either :?

I'd give the Vet a call and ask if she could be admitted for Oxygen and maybe ask about starting her on Depocillin. I am not sure Baytril will cut it to be honest.

Sending more vibes xx

Sorry for the delay in updating - B has been admitted to the out of hours vet for stronger pain relief, stronger antibiotics and a diuretic to help her shift the fluid from her lungs. She's not being given oxygen yet as her gums are still nice and pink, but it's not been ruled out if she needs it overnight.

Willow is staying with her to keep her company, and they've taken an overnight bag of hay, pellets, dried bramble leaves and some fresh cabbage & kale from the garden!

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better news.

I was reassured that the ooh vet agreed that baytril was not good enough in this situation.

Sorry for the delay in updating - B has been admitted to the out of hours vet for stronger pain relief, stronger antibiotics and a diuretic to help her shift the fluid from her lungs. She's not being given oxygen yet as her gums are still nice and pink, but it's not been ruled out if she needs it overnight.

Willow is staying with her to keep her company, and they've taken an overnight bag of hay, pellets, dried bramble leaves and some fresh cabbage & kale from the garden!

Hopefully tomorrow will bring better news.

I was reassured that the ooh vet agreed that baytril was not good enough in this situation.

Excellent, the diuretic will help her feel so much more comfortable too

Please keep us updated as to her progress xx

Sending millions of vibes. The new treatment sounds much better. Fingers and paws here all crossed...

Back