• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Licking their own wee??

Gemmapookie

Wise Old Thumper
This morning I noticed Timmy and Mimi licking a patch of wee they'd done on their duvet :shock::?

Does anyone know why they would do this? Are they lacking in something??

They had plenty of fresh water at the time and are both healthy and behaving nomally in every other way.

Sometimes it can be a behavioural issue, or an attempt to remove evidence of their scent.

I have also known it to be a symptom of pain, usually in the ear.

As they are both doing it I would think the former is more likely :)

Sometimes it can be a behavioural issue, or an attempt to remove evidence of their scent.

I have also known it to be a symptom of pain, usually in the ear.

As they are both doing it I would think the former is more likely :)

:shock: Oh gosh, I will be keeping a VERY close eye on Mimi then. Although as its both of them Im hoping its behavioural. Their duvet is reasonably new so maybe its a scent thing.

Do you think they might want some warm water to drink?

Thankyou for replying :wave:

Judy's Thumper used to drink his own wee, it might be worth asking her what she thinks.

Personally in this case I agree with Jane and would suggest it is behavioural so not to worry... you've just got a couple of wierdo rabbits! ;):lol:

I didn't know it was a sign of pain in some bunnies. :( Hm..I think Mimzy started doing this recently, and he just had a dental done. Maybe that should've tipped me off, but I too just thought it might be a sign of a deficiency.
Good to know.

Judy's Thumper used to drink his own wee, it might be worth asking her what she thinks.

Personally in this case I agree with Jane and would suggest it is behavioural so not to worry... you've just got a couple of wierdo rabbits! ;):lol:

Thanks, I will PM Judy and see what she thinks.

Ive given them both a thorough check over, nothing obvious wrong that I can see. I might get them to the vets for a check up before xmas though, I hate to think they might be in pain :(

Hoping they're just a pai of nut bags ;)

Back