• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Ear Tool???

BinkyBun

Wise Old Thumper
Please can someone tell me what the tool is vets use to clean out a pet's ears? I want to buy one online for the Rabbit specific size so that I can take it with me when I go to the vets next with Darcy. They never have it and I want to get Darcy's ears cleaned as he cant reach to do it himself properly and I think his ears are bothering him a bit.

Not sure what you mean :?

An Otoscope is used to examine the ear canal, but surely your Vet has one of those :?

Not sure what you mean :?

An Otoscope is used to examine the ear canal, but surely your Vet has one of those :?

Last time I asked them to take a look at cleaning them they said they only had one for a dog or cat and said it was too big for the rabbit ear. :?

I would of that so. I just want to have one so that I don't take Darcy to the vet and stress him for nothing.

Just realised I might have put it in the wrong way. I DON'T mean the thing they use to LOOK inside the ear. I mean the tool they use to put inside the ear and remove wax etc.

Do you know what that is??

To be honest in all the years I've owned rabbits, I've never known them to need their ears cleaning.

If your rabbit does have trouble with his ears, I certainly wouldn't attempt to poke anything inside his ears as you could do a lot of damage. What I would do is look around for a vet that does have the right equipment.

I'm not saying you would intentionally hurt your rabbit but their ears are extremely sensitive and it would be very difficult to hold them and see to his ears too. If he jumped or wriggled, you could do a lot of damage :?

Doghouse I would NEVER do it myself. I just want to buy the tool online to take with me to the vets so they can do it for me.

My rabbit Darcy has Spondylosis and osteo-arthritis in his back and hips which, although he is having pallative care with pain meds, has difficutly cleaning his own ears. I just want to make his life as comfortable and easy as possible.

Doghouse I would NEVER do it myself. I just want to buy the tool online to take with me to the vets so they can do it for me.

My rabbit Darcy has Spondylosis and osteo-arthritis in his back and hips which, although he is having pallative care with pain meds, has difficutly cleaning his own ears. I just want to make his life as comfortable and easy as possible.

I use Olive Oil to clean the ears of a Rabbit with mobility problems. *But only after checking with the Vet that it is OK to do so*

I just put a tiny drop of oil into the ear canal, massage the ear base for a few mins and then remove any debris from the ear using a bit of cotton wool. Dont poke anything like cotton buds into the ear canal, you can do a lot of damage by doing that.

Ooops - sorry, totally misread your post :thumb:

I use Olive Oil to clean the ears of a Rabbit with mobility problems. *But only after checking with the Vet that it is OK to do so*

I just put a tiny drop of oil into the ear canal, massage the ear base for a few mins and then remove any debris from the ear using a bit of cotton wool. Dont poke anything like cotton buds into the ear canal, you can do a lot of damage by doing that.

Thanks, Jane. I must admit I'm really scared of doing it myself as I know how sensitive the ears are. I'm going to make appointment and just sound really cheeky by asking them to make sure they have the right tool in!!

Back