• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Barley and Sophie

Captain Helen

Wise Old Thumper
Time for some pics of the happy couple! :love:

I adopted foster bun Sophie, after her brother Marshall was PTS with lymphoma. :cry: She is now happily married to my girl Barley, who was alone after her partner Blair passed away. :cry:

Firstly, some bonding pics from stage one...

BandS1b.jpg

BandS9b.jpg

BandS15b.jpg

BandS32b.jpg

BandS42b.jpg

BandS51b.jpg

BandS58b.jpg

Bonding stage two...

I tried some banana on their heads, to get them grooming each other. It didn't work. It just made a mess and made the buns look silly!

BandS63b.jpg

BandS75b.jpg

BandS77b.jpg

BandS83b.jpg

BandS86b.jpg

The first time they snuggled!

BandS90b.jpg

Sophie's first time in the garden!

BandS92b.jpg

BandS100b.jpg

BandS103b.jpg

BandS111b.jpg

ROFL at bananaface buns :lol::lol:

They look very happy. Love Barley's face markings.

it's also really interesting to see something showing the expansion of space used in bonding. In writing it sounds quite complicated, but the pics make it easier to imagine.

ROFL at bananaface buns :lol::lol:

They look very happy. Love Barley's face markings.

it's also really interesting to see something showing the expansion of space used in bonding. In writing it sounds quite complicated, but the pics make it easier to imagine.

:lol: Bananaface buns seemed like such a good idea at the time!

I started the bonding in the bathroom, so I could keep a close eye on them. I haven't measured it, but I guess it's around 4x4? Not big.

I moved them out to the sunroom after two days, when I thought I could trust them not to kill each other! I can only really watch them through the window out there. I was worried about the temperature in the bathroom. It's as cold as outside in the sunroom. It's also a bit bigger, about 5x5 I guess?

They stayed in the sunroom for a week. Longer than I'd normally keep bonding buns in a small space (Barley is a very active bun, she hated it!), but we were making a new run and shed for them. I thought it would be better to wait for the new neutral space, rather than putting them in barley's old hutch and run.

(Thread coming with pics of the new shed and run soon!)

The bonding went surprisingly smoothly! I was worried that Barley would be more aggressive towards Sophie (she once attacked Stewart) but she was fine! Sophie was a bit scared at first, but she soon learned Barley wasn't a threat. :)

So glad I can keep Sophie :) Marshall was the first, and I hope only, foster animal to be PTS in my care :cry: so I owe it to Sophie to give her a forever home.

She may be 9 and a half, but I hope she can be a part of the family for as long as possible! It would be wonderful if she could enjoy summer in the garden :love:

Back