• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you...

rachylou

Warren Veteran
Avoid going somewhere where there has been a case of VHD? For instance going to Bracknell or Woking?
Change your clothes as soon as you walk in the door if you had been somewhere there has been a case of VHD?
Would you live life in fear and try EVERYTHING to keep the disease away from your buns?

No only if I had direct contact with infected buns or walked through their poo etc just going into town shopping would be fine. The virus isnt that easy to transfer and my buns are all vaccs

Nope, I do not have OCD

The reason you are in the state you are in is 100% due to OCD

Your anxieties are unrelated to reality, if it was not VHD it'd be something else, sadly :cry:

I would not severely restrict my life on the off chance something may happen. Taking normal precautions by vaccinating rabbits is sufficient.

When I had bunnies I didn't even know where had known outbreaks of VHD. Why would I try to find out, if I'd already vaccinated my bunnies? What I mean is, it wouldn't have affected my behaviour in any way.

No, as I don't have an obsessional fear of VHD. My bunnies are all vaccinated, and even if there is one strain of VHD which might get past the vaccination, the viruses won't be all over the streets and houses in those towns. I take off my shoes when I enter the house, I wash my hands, and change into other trousers (but only because they are more comfy and better for garden work). If I had indoor bunnies, I would be far more concerned about chemicals and not use things like desinfectants, bleach, perfumed items, etc. in excessive amounts. Same goes for protecting my children, unnecessary chemicals worry me more than germs.

Let me explain one thing I am worried about regarding VHD- on Wednesday myself, Dan and Jack went to Bracknell (There were cases of VHD in Nov 2010) we went swimming then went to Mc Donalds, whilst in there a football team entered, one of them must have ordered a happy meal because there was a toy left on the table, when the lady came round to clean the table, she started wobbling the toy at Jack and then put it on our table, my jumper sleeve touched it, I then got in the car and my sleeved touched the seat and the door arm bit, yesterday my Mum and I went out in my car and she sat where I had sat the day before, she then held Jack and then I held Jack- is there any fear for Jimby and Cookie?
What if the footballer who handled the toy had fallen in some rabbit poo?

Let me explain one thing I am worried about regarding VHD- on Wednesday myself, Dan and Jack went to Bracknell (There were cases of VHD in Nov 2010) we went swimming then went to Mc Donalds, whilst in there a football team entered, one of them must have ordered a happy meal because there was a toy left on the table, when the lady came round to clean the table, she started wobbling the toy at Jack and then put it on our table, my jumper sleeve touched it, I then got in the car and my sleeved touched the seat and the door arm bit, yesterday my Mum and I went out in my car and she sat where I had sat the day before, she then held Jack and then I held Jack- is there any fear for Jimby and Cookie?

The risks of that are so unlikely I would be happy to go near an unvaccs rabbit let along a vaccs one

hugs

I'm quite naughty and don't really even think about VHD........obviously I vaccinate when I have enough money to throw around but it's FAR less concerning to me then Myxo.

Smeared it all over his hands, then eaten his lunch? :shock: That is so unlikely, even if there was VHD around. And it's not as though the bunnies were in MacDonalds with you.

Sorry to be direct, but you must know what everyone is going to say, as they always say it. It's the OCD taking control, that's all.

I think we need to stop feeding the OCD now Rachel. Your Vet has printed you out lots and lots of info, we have posted on numerous threads in an attempt to reassure you. But only YOU can over-ride the 'voice' of OCD.

I understand that obsessional thinking is all consuming and exhausting, my AN does similar things to me. But at the end of the day it is only ME who can fight the 'voice' of AN just as it is only YOU who can fight the 'voice' of OCD.

I think you should concentrate on getting ready for Jack's first Christmas. It would be such a shame to allow OCD to ruin that. You DO have the power to fight back :)

Thankyou everyone, I think the anxiety is at an all time high at the moment due to having to stop one of my medications in order to start on a new one which is SLOWLEY being increased and I am finding that the past week or so have been REALLY bad anxiety and OCD wise, even my hubby has noticed an increase in symptoms so it is hard at the moment.
I am trying so hard and do try to do at least one thing to challenge the OCD per day so I am trying even though it is so bad.

I think we need to stop feeding the OCD now Rachel. Your Vet has printed you out lots and lots of info, we have posted on numerous threads in an attempt to reassure you. But only YOU can over-ride the 'voice' of OCD.

I understand that obsessional thinking is all consuming and exhausting, my AN does similar things to me. But at the end of the day it is only ME who can fight the 'voice' of AN just as it is only YOU who can fight the 'voice' of OCD.

I think you should concentrate on getting ready for Jack's first Christmas. It would be such a shame to allow OCD to ruin that. You DO have the power to fight back :)

^^ agree...you can fight this...use your energy on positve things...!;)

Would you worry about a hand bag which went to Bracknell, went in the footwell with my feet which had walked around Bracknell, Mum sprayed my bag over with disinfectant and wiped dry, then pur it on the side if the sofa then some computer paper touched the sofa then I put it on the floor in our room and then the blanket I was using to keep me warm touched the paper, is the blanket safe?

would you worry about a hand bag which went to bracknell, went in the footwell with my feet which had walked around bracknell, mum sprayed my bag over with disinfectant and wiped dry, then pur it on the side if the sofa then some computer paper touched the sofa then i put it on the floor in our room and then the blanket i was using to keep me warm touched the paper, is the blanket safe?

do not listen to your ocd

Back