• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

managing wet bedding through the winter?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave: This morning we had our first real hard frost and the buns min/max therm said it was -2c at its coldest overnight. So this morning I went out when it got light and pulled all the bedding out becuase I was worried about it being wet and cold. I only replaced the bedding last night becuase I was worried about it being wet/cold through the night.

I dont mind replacing it morning and night (newspapers and loads of hay) is that the answer or is there another way around it?? I had visions of frozen rabbit pee/hay! :?

I havnt changed the straw in my boys hutch for a month or so. I just add to it every week. They dont poo or wee in there you see so it stays wee and poo free! :wave:

My foster buns have litter bowls/trays lined with newspaper & filled with hay. They are emptied daily. I put fleecey blankets & washable door mats down for additional warmth :D The hutch also has shutters and is covered :wave:

My bunnies like to sleep in litter trays (they have toilet trays and bed trays!) and I just empty out the wet part - there generally isn't much - and add new straw/ hay as necessary. Their beds are in hutches inside the enclosures, and are covered and sheltered. In the 8 years we've been here with outside bunnies, they've always been fine, and often choose to be in the exposed part of their enclosure rather than all snuggled up!
I think they cope with the cold much better than we think they do, as long as they have shelter from the wind and rain, and lots of hay/ straw to snuggle in.
Have you though of snugglesafes?

Murphy our only outside rabbit, has scratch and newton cover, which we have further insulated with loft insulation and foil type material, and we just keep adding to the hay in his nest box. he never wees in there also he has a fluffy toy to snuggle up to and a snuggle safe at night when the weather turns really cold. He was fine last winter.

great thanks everyone :) My girls will wee/poop where ever there is hay/straw :? We have two snugglesafes and I have just put a warm one in becuase its so chilly today but all they do is lick the fleece cover :roll::lol:

mmmm. mine tend tro sometimes also wee where there is hay!:roll: I have a hideout in my run where I put a fleece blanket and a snugglesafe everynight.....and for the hutch - they just have their litter trays and laods of hay...but they do have the option here of coming indoors into a warm area through a cat-flap....
Perhaps put a large litter tray into their bed area and fill with aubiose and loads of hay - then if they wee - it will get soaked up by the aubiose and you can just replace the hay, or put loads of newspaper down, fleece blankets - which will absorb some wee and then loads of hay...either way - it might encourage them to wee in that area whichis frustrating but then they need a sleep cosy place...:?:p

I use easibed, and have this quite deep, so that the top stays dry (Alfred isn't outside, but I don't like the idea of him being on a wet bed! although he does have plenty of other places to sleep!)

i clean out my 2 big litter trays every wed or thursday and every sunday i just top it up if its low to last till them days :)
there not too bad they always pee in them just not poo sometimes

Back