• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mimzy not eating hay, may we have vibes please?

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
He just had a dental at the end of October, a darned good one too...burred to gums on all sides. Now he's refusing to eat hay and only takes veggies or pellets, and only a few of those. He gets metacam twice daily for early onset arthritis, so this may have been coming on awhile and the painkiller masked it. :(
Sees his vet first thing. Hoping it's just an easily sorted dental, but he's been scratching his ears and cheeks a lot too, so it could be an infection of some sort. He's been recently tested for mites and came up negative, so I'm doubting that.
Could we please have some vibes for him? I've syringed Critical Care and fluids in all day plus whatever greens I can get him to eat, but he just looks so rough every once in awhile. Very worried. He's somewhere between 4-5 years old and yet has been very frail this year.
Many thanks.

I know how much Mimzy means to you, you must be very worried but hang in there. Sending you both loads of vibes and fingers crossed it's just a straightforward dental :) Let us know how you get on. Will be thinking of Mimzy :wave: x

Just wanted to let everyone know that Mimzy was admitted for a dental that should be proceeding in about an hour, 2 PM Alaska Standard time. I was just so glad he didn't have a blockage or that it was something more serious...he is getting up there in years.
Thank you for all your vibes, they are much appreciated. :) Will update again when we get him back home.

I've everything crossed that all went well, & Mimzy's beginning to eat again.
It's so difficult to know whether they have primarily dental problems or tummy problems when they have dental + another illness.

Please let us know how he gets on.

Thanks for all your vibes everyone. :)
We brought Mimzy home about 5 PM. The surgery went well and he had some nasty hooks taken off his molars. Once I finally got him settled in his habitat, he jumped right into the litterbox and began stuffing hay in his gob as fast as he could. ^_^ It was such a relief to see after three nights of inappetance for anything but soft wet foods.
His bloodwork showed his proteins were a bit low and his calcium up. So my guess is we caught this just in time. I really don't give him a lot of metacam, so I am surprised I didn't realize how much he was hurting. :( Of course, this is also his third dental this year, so looks like we'll have to schedule them more frequently as a rule.
Since he's displayed odd breathing patterns this year, we had him xrayed in summer, revealing a mysterious mass that could be either an enlarged lymph gland or a small thymoma developing. We agreed then that when he next needed a GA we'd ultrasound and aspirate the area, this we did today. It came back inconclusive, but while my vet wants to continue cautiously, she doesn't think it's anything cancerous so far. I can't recall what she said it might be exactly, except that it sounded like she used a word like 'septum.' I'm guessing she's referring to a part of his breastbone? He has early onset arthritis, so perhaps other bones are deforming along with his hips.
He sure seemed happier when I picked him up. But now he's nodding off and no wonder...he's had a big day. I would guess the surgical drugs have worn off, but I did give him 0.1 ml metacam when I settled him earlier. When he gets up he tends to try to eat and that is good news. :)

First time I've seen squidgy cecals left behind. After two days of nothing but pellets and dark leafy greens, I'm not surprised really. But I'm sure once the initial sting of burring passes that mouth will be feeling better. My poor bub. I really must listen to him better than this.

Good thing we had this done today (and my vet had room in her schedule, bless her) as there's a big snowstorm coming upon us this weekend. It wouldn't have done to have put it off even if he'd only had minor symptoms. Still, all the stress this week has worn me. If not the bunnies, then my wee Yorkie with two months of skin problems that remain unresolved and my husband's cousin passed away suddenly on Thanksgiving and the family is gutted. So it's been a tough time lately. I am looking forward to getting some rest tonight after some mellow music and a pot of herb tea! :)

*ears perk* Hark! I hear a munching bunny! (looks happily over at Mimzy who is tucking in to more hay)
:):):):)

Once again, thank you all so much. I really don't know what I would do without kindred spirits like yourselves who can understand just how upsetting it is to have a poorly bunny on one's hands. :)

I'm thrilled to hear it went well and he's eating his hay with such gusto! :thumb: Fantastic news :D

Thank god you got in time before the snow storm! :shock:

Hope Mimzy makes a full recovery now :D:wave: x

Gosh you have indeed been having a terrible time lately:shock: so sorry about your husbands cousin:( hope your yorkies skin condition gets better soon.

Ah mimzi..bless you......im sooo happy for you bunster...now you can stuffs your face with hay...nom nom nom

merlin seems to get his every 4 months or so:shock:

wow some really thorough bunvet!!

im so pleased all has gone well:wave: nothing quite like a hungry dental bun eating after a dental:thumb:

lets hope the mass is nothing too serious......:wave:

hugs for you and hubby...not an easy time.....and nosey rubs to mimzi xx

Back