• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD vaccinations?????

Jackaroonie

Mama Doe
Hi, my rabbits have always been vaccinated from myxi twice a year... but recently by looking on the internet I found out about VHD, I asked the vets when we were last there and they said they will do it in febuary 2 weeks before their next myxi jabs are due, is it okay to wait? :roll:

also by looking through threads on here I see there is 2 different types of VHD vaccinations and that cylap is the one with the most side affects and lapinject is the better one, I have asked my vet if we can use lapinject but they have to order it in cause they use cylap. :roll:

Hi, my rabbits have always been vaccinated from myxi twice a year... but recently by looking on the internet I found out about VHD, I asked the vets when we were last there and they said they will do it in febuary 2 weeks before their next myxi jabs are due, is it okay to wait? :roll:

also by looking through threads on here I see there is 2 different types of VHD vaccinations and that cylap is the one with the most side affects and lapinject is the better one, I have asked my vet if we can use lapinject but they have to order it in cause they use cylap. :roll:

Hi there.

I would stongly recommend you don't wait. There is no reason to and by vaccinating you will be giving your bunnies much needed protection against VHD which we know is active across the UK at the moment. Please do it asap.

I would recommend you use Lapinject or Anivac and if your vet wont' order it in for you, then I would strongly recommend finding a vet who is good with rabbits and would get it for you. I should say that Anivac comes in single doses so there is no reason why they shouldn't get that for you.

Helen

Last edited:
I believe recently theres a third type of VHD jab out there too now? Forgotton what it's called now though....apparently it's meant to be even better then the the other one...mine are due for both of their soon :/

Hi there.

I would stongly recommend you don't wait. There is no reason to and by vaccinating you will be giving your bunnies much needed protection against VHD which we know is active across the UK at the moment. Please do it asap.

I would recommend you use Lapinject or Anivac and if your vet wont' order it in for you, then I would strongly recommend finding a vet who is good with rabbits and would get it for you.

Helen

Have your bunnies experienced any side effects through VHD jabs?

I believe recently theres a third type of VHD jab out there too now? Forgotton what it's called now though....apparently it's meant to be even better then the the other one...mine are due for both of their soon :/

Anivac. Only supposed to be 'better' because of the carrier for the vaccine which is safer for the vet administering it.

:roll:

hmm i will definitely try and book my rabbits in soon but worried about side effects :/

Have your bunnies experienced any side effects through VHD jabs?

Our vets used to use Cylap years ago and yes we had a few side effects but not a limp luckily. Lots of reports of severe side effects are available on here to read. My rabbits are vaccinated with either Lapinject (for our own rabbits as they go to the vets where I work) and Anivac at our rescue vets in our village. The bunnies do not seem affected at all by Anivac, but have sometimes been a bit quiet for a day after Lapinject, but this is normal and I am happy using both.

I've literally just re-read the thread before mine and noticed it :lol:

I have always wondered why rabbits need it so regularly? I know it's to help protect them but how come the jab doesn't last longer? E.g. Us humans would have a booster of a jab every 10 years or so...why do rabbits need it so regularly? is it because the disease morfs and changes? Just curious as my dad questioned it a while back and I've never given it a thought until he said about it. I wondered if it was because their life span was shorter so a booster was needed more often?

Ask you vet to order in Anivac because it is the newest and best VHD vaccine. Lapinject is good too, but comes in a bottle with enough for five shots and is OK if you have multiple rabbits to vaccinate within 24 hours. Also, Lapinject and Cylap use a mineral oil as a carrier for the active ingredient and it is thought that it is this oil that causes the side effects.

Anivac doesn't use a mineral oil and although a newer vaccine, doesn't appear to be causing any problems.

I've literally just re-read the thread before mine and noticed it :lol:

I have always wondered why rabbits need it so regularly? I know it's to help protect them but how come the jab doesn't last longer? E.g. Us humans would have a booster of a jab every 10 years or so...why do rabbits need it so regularly? is it because the disease morfs and changes? Just curious as my dad questioned it a while back and I've never given it a thought until he said about it. I wondered if it was because their life span was shorter so a booster was needed more often?

I don't know the answer to that one, but I would imagine that as it's actually a 'dose' of the infection itself (unlike Myxo), and that it works by making the immune system build it's defences, that maybe it just lessens over a period of time. Maybe there is a vet lurking on here that knows the answer to that one.

I don't know the answer to that one, but I would imagine that as it's actually a 'dose' of the infection itself (unlike Myxo), and that it works by making the immune system build it's defences, that maybe it just lessens over a period of time. Maybe there is a vet lurking on here that knows the answer to that one.

It would be really interesting to find out....I'm sure someone has the answer and can explain it in detail :)

I can only imagine that there is an optimum amount of vaccine that you can put into their system before it adversely affects them. Possibly a year is as much as they can stand or it mutates to quickly.

Hmmm I will try and phone vets after school tomorrow or saturday :roll:
I am worried about them getting ill so they have to be vaccinated soon :( we have never vaccinated against VHD as our vets never told us, I had to ask about it, I wish they would of told me in the summer and I could of done it then. oh well i try and do it for next week, fingers crossed, i will have to take more money out my bank account for the pets, it costs a fortune but i love them so much and would not do anything different, We are insulating the shed this weekend and I am buying some cat flaps and adding runs hopefully soon too. next year i am going to look for a job as i should be old enough, im 14 at the moment .

Vets usually try to time Myxi and VHD around the same time. They must be given two weeks apart as it compromises the rabbit's immune system too much for both at the same time. If you are ever offered them together, change vet!

I would get your rabbits done now and then your mind is at rest. It is a long wait until February. Mine were out of synch for ages and it did annoy me, but quite honestly, you have to do three separate trips no matter the timescale because you have to leave that two week gap, so it doesn't really matter to be honest.

Vets usually try to time Myxi and VHD around the same time. They must be given two weeks apart as it compromises the rabbit's immune system too much for both at the same time. If you are ever offered them together, change vet!

I would get your rabbits done now and then your mind is at rest. It is a long wait until February. Mine were out of synch for ages and it did annoy me, but quite honestly, you have to do three separate trips no matter the timescale because you have to leave that two week gap, so it doesn't really matter to be honest.

so is it ok to get them done in the next couple of weeks, they had their myxi jab back in august so its definitely longer than 2 weeks, will the jab be less effective???? :roll:

so is it ok to get them done in the next couple of weeks, they had their myxi jab back in august so its definitely longer than 2 weeks, will the jab be less effective???? :roll:

getting the myxo jab and the VHD jab so far appart will have no ill effect on their health....only if the contract the virus before they get vaccinated against it.....you're totally fine to vaccinate for VHD today if you really wanted to :)

getting the myxo jab and the VHD jab so far appart will have no ill effect on their health....only if the contract the virus before they get vaccinated against it.....you're totally fine to vaccinate for VHD today if you really wanted to :)

Ok goodgood, i will phone my vet after school tomorrow, as it will probably take a week to order in the vaccination, I have 3 rabbits and it costs about £60 to do myxi for them every six months, so about £18.00 per vaccination, how much do VHD Jabs cost roughly?

Ok goodgood, i will phone my vet after school tomorrow, as it will probably take a week to order in the vaccination, I have 3 rabbits and it costs about £60 to do myxi for them every six months, so about £18.00 per vaccination, how much do VHD Jabs cost roughly?

I'm in the midlands and a few people who live in the midlands area also pay the same as me...basically £25 for each jab, both types......but VHD is usually thr same price as Myxo :) Ask before you go for the appointment?

Last edited:

It varies a lot :) it is normally a similar price to the price vets charge for myxi, I think it is around £10-11 at my vets, myxi is around £12-13. It only needs to be done once a year though.

Back