• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How can you tell if your rabbit is too cold?

lupine lacuna

Warren Scout
I am worried about my buns. Its really wet and windy at the moment in Guernsey and the inside of their ears feels freezing!!

When my buns were living outside and felt cold I gave them extra blankets and hay as well as a heat pad. Like this one ....

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/cat-accessor...-626_325/snugglesafe-heat-pad-and-cover-p-250

Make sure that the inside of their cage doesn't get wet as they will get a chill. When it is cold and wet you may also want to put a cover over the front of the cage for some extra protection. :)

Thought I should add... if your rabbit has been outside all year he/she will have grown a winter coat that will help to keep warm. ;)

Yeah, you can tell by their ears. I highly recommend a hutch cover, lots and lots of thick straw and a snugglesafe. How big is the hutch? It needs to be at least 6ft x 2ft x 2ft, and preferably 2 or 3 tiers so they can hop up and down and keep themselves warm that way. Do you have a garden shed you could convert into a bunny palace?

I have one of the big happy hutches, with an attached run, only because of the rain I think their wet feet made their bedding area a bit wet too. First thing I need to do is a igger rain cover for the run I think. But I know what changes I am going to make, what I wanted to find out is how can I actually tell if the bunny is too/dangerously cold?

Last year my buns went through their second winter with temperatures dipping to -18. They were absolutely fine as they had loads and loads of bedding and the hutch was covered up to minimise draughts. If you bury your hand into their fur and hold it there you should feel the bun's heat. It should feel warm. If its lips are not pink and it doesn't feel warm when you try the 'under the fur test', bring it into a warm place (a back porch) with a wrapped hot water bottle.

Their ears are used to get rid of excess heat and sometimes they are cold but the rabbit is perfectly OK. You need to feel for body heat.

If they're used to being outside, bunnies can cope with the cold very well as long as they're somewhere dry and free from draughts.

The ears aren't always a good gauge of body temperature as, when it's cold, bunnies will try to conserve heat meaning the extremities (such as the ears) will feel cold to the touch. If you part the fur on their body and feel, they should still be quite warm.

Thanks very much everyone.

If you cover up to stop draughts, how do you stop the build up of condensation? One of my buns is really bad a weeing everywhere and in the enclosed bit of the cage I have seen a little bit of mould developing up the wall....

Back