• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Unhappy bun :o(

Alvins mummy

Mama Doe
Hi, I have a Mini Lop Buck called Alvin he is 9 months old, we had him neutered 4 weeks ago and he is ...I can only describe as sad and depressed, he has went from being a bunny that would follow me/the rest of the family everywhere, binky constantly, sit beside you for cuddles strokes and nip you for attention if you didn't pay him enough, you could practically see his smile he was such a delight. The only reason we had him done was because he was spraying so badly. He's an indoor bunny with full run of the house but he won’t really come out of his hutch now doesn't want company, seems to be scared of us but he will let us pet him in his hutch but he scarpers if we try to pick him up, he never comes to play, ignores his ball (which was he fave toy). I'm at my wits end, I am so sad to see my bunny like this. He's been checked by the Vet and they said he has healed fine, he is eating and drinking normal so I don’t think he is ill.

My breeder did warn me not to neuter as it would alter his personality but I searched and read everything I could and never found anything to state that but I now fear she was correct.

Does anyone have any tips for me??

You know what, I bet he wants a hunbun! Now that he's neutered you can start to think about a girlie bun companion for him, although I would wait another 2 weeks before introducing them. Bonding is a very delicate process which needs lots of preparation and preferably experience. The best thing would be to let him 'date' eligable young does at a trustworthy rescue centre. That way he can pick his own friend. A rescue bun is also more likely to be spayed, which will work out cheaper and far less stressful, and vaccinated too.

In the mean time have his teeth been checked? Is he warm enough (feel the base of his ears)? Rabbits are naturally quieter in the winter months, so don't worry too much. I guess his confidence in people is shaken by his experience at the vets, but in time he will forget that and remember that you are the pervayor of all things good! Just spend lots of time sitting and lying down next to him, stroking him and sneaking him the occassional fenugreek crunchie. I'm sure some treats from Father Bunmas would cheer him up too, when the time comes. ;)

Last edited:
My Finx was exactly the same, she had stasis after her spay and I had lots of medication to give her - after that she was not her usual friendly self. She gradually settled into a routine again and slowly became bouncier and happier, just with better toilet habits :lol: Now she has her gorgeous dopey friend Tango to keep her company and is very happy!

Give him time.
His hormones are dying down, he's been through a trauma.

Agree re girlie partner

But not from any breeder who would advise against neutering;)

I would say get a friend too. I've never had a single bun, but my two spend so much time snuggling and grooming each other, I just can't imagine what they would do on their own - I would think they would get bored very quickly.

Also - maybe try him with some new toys? Mine get bored quickly so what they love one minute they soon show no interest in, and then the next new thing becomes the favourite.

Thanks guys for your replies. I was thinking of a friend for Alvin, I'm keeping an eye on the rescue website to see if any suiters come up :eek:)

Pamela

I agree with all that has been said. My rabbit Barney was lonely when he was a single bunny, even though he was indoors and I spent most of my day at home with him, although he expressed it in a different way to yours, and he is much more content now he has a hunbun. Rabbits live in large groups in the wild and are highly social with complex hierarchies, there is evidence to suggest that single rabbits experience high levels of stress, and many get depressed or exhibit abnormal or obsessive behaviours.

Also, neutering does not change their personality, it simply removes some of the sex hormones. This can change their behaviour yes, but it only changes the behaviour that was hormone fuelled, and likely due to sexual frustration or the need to defend a territory or nest. It is well documented that neutered animals in general live healthier, longer lives. Breeders will generally not be as clued up on neutering as vets or good owners, as they likely dont have much experience of it, they cant breed a rabbit if it is neutered. There are of course exceptions but it seems this is the case with the breeder you got him from.

I think you are doing the right thing by considering a friend, especially as he is already neutered. Please feel free to ask any questions or anything you may want to know :wave:

edit: just wanted to add that I think you did the right thing by neutering him, and not to feel bad about it!

Last edited:
Some rabbits take a little longer to recover from surgery than others so I'm sure he will be back to his normal self soon. Is he eating well? Has he stopped eating certain foods? That can often indicate a problem with their teeth. Hope it's not though. :wave:

He is eating well and his teeth are fine, the vet gave he a good check over when I had him "done".

He has been better the last few days but he seems so timid so I've been back to lying on the floor hand feeding treats etc so will just see how we get on.

My Spenser took quite a while to recover from his neuter. Most buns do best with company, although I'm not a good example as Spenser is still single. :oops:

If you have a rescue nearby they might be able to advise re. a suitable partner, and even help with bonding.

Back