• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice and opinions please?

Bexta

New Kit
Hi everyone! :wave:
I'm new to this forum and would like some advice please.
I have got a mini lop doe who is just over 6 months old - I've had her since 13 weeks and she has been (and still is!) the most adorable loving bun I could have wished for!
Since last night I've noticed that she has been dribbling wee as she's hopping around the house. She has a litter tray in her hutch, which she always uses to wee in (has never weed anywhere else in her hutch - she does occasionaly wee on the sofa though - naughty bun!).
She is eating and drinking completely normally, and her behaviour hasn't changed at all (although I'm pretty sure she rubbed her chin on my foot last night which she hasn't done before!)
I phoned my vet straight away (out of hours so I couldn't make an appointment). Listening to what I described over the phone, she said it could be a bladder infection or it could be behaviour because she's reached maturity.
But I don't think she's spraying, I really don't. Please correct me if I'm wrong (I am a newbie!) but I thought rabbits sprayed onto vertical surfaces? And they jump in the air to spray? Well Tiffin isn't doing any of that, she's just hopping along as normal, and a little dribble of wee will come out while she's walking along. It just doesn't seem like spraying behaviour to me?
As for the wee - it is very watery and slightly yellow - no 'chalkyness' at all.

Has anybody got any ideas what it could be? Sorry for the long post I wanted to include as much detail as I could think of!
Oh, and she's not spayed, she's only just 6 months old so I think I'll get her done after Christmas (unless you guys think I should get her done before?)
And another thing! She has started making a 'buzzing' sound in the last few days, which I thought was just chattering because she's happy, but I've heard some people say it might be because she's 'excited'? She sounds like a bee!

Thanks in advance! :)

edit: missed something else out too, sorry! She is still weeing normally as well (in her litter tray), and pooing is completely normal (and she is still eating her cecals)

Last edited:
I agree with the Vet. It may even be a combination of both reaching puberty (hence the chinning and buzzing) and also having a UTI. So I would get the Vet to take a look at her today. Take a fresh sample of her wee with you if you can. You can also discuss getting her spayed.

Good luck :)

Sounds like she's reached/reaching maturity right now :) get her checked out incase but I'd probably get her booked in for a spay if she passes a health check :) it'll help with wee issues better (in theory) :)

Thanks for the advice guys! Apparently it is a UTI, but I was watching her last night and she seemed a lot better - only one little bit of dribbling and I was watching her for about 2 hours!
I will get her spayed after christmas - I would like to take some time off work to be with her and I've run out of holiday this year!:roll:

Back