• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Hazards in a Flat

jaclynwds

New Kit
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting a rabbit as I like in a duplex, but have no garden. I love animals, but it's not enough space for a dog and I'm allergic to cats.

My concern is that the two levels of the house have no divider. Basically you could fall off the top level on to the first and there are stairs that are like slats of wood going up so bunny could also fall between these. Do rabbits have a sense of this? Or would it be dangerous to let it hop around upstairs?

Thanks!

I'm not sure how rabbits would respond to that type of staircase, but mine don't jump out into dangerously high gaps between the bannisters at the sides of the stairs. Rabbits have some depth perception which they need because of their jumping abilities.

Depending on the way the staircase is constructed, you might be able to fit a stair gate (like the ones people use for toddlers) on one level to solve this problem. If the rabbits are small, the gate might need to have some mesh panels attached to it to stop bunnies squeezing through the gaps in the bars.

I would be worried about a wooden staircase tbh. Hopscotch bolts up and down the stairs so fast, which are carpeted, it's a wonder he doesn't do himself an injury! I would worry that he would slip if they were bare wood though.

Back