• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The germans are so far ahead of us in terms of animal care

I've noticed this too. It makes me wonder if small animals are much more popular over there? I remember after the huge spiny mouse rescue years ago, when we were all struggling to find out about spiny mouse care, most of the informative stuff was in German.

Or is it that you've stumbled on a hamster forum who are as nutty about their hamsters as we are about bunnys and they are all constructing their own hamster accommodation out of large fish tanks and making accessories?

I had a quick look at the hamster cage thread and it looks like people have just adapted fish tanks? Lots of people over here do that too :) I've seen some fab set ups for small animals made from converted wardrobes etc too.

I do agree though that other countries seem to have some amazing bigger stuff for rabbits - I think because rabbits are more popular as house pets in other countries there's more demand for attractive housing and accessories. A lot of the best stuff I've seen is home made though. :)

Look how amazing these hamster cages are!

http://www.das-hamsterforum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=61187

and a lot of things on this facebook group are german....

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.315443358470267.99934.298796656801604&type=3

Why cant we have such awesome stuff in the UK?!

We do have large fish tanks and zoozones

The problem is you have to adapt other things to make hamster homes but it looks like that is what the people on the forum you mention have done too. I don't think some people want large animal housing so they will buy small and business will not make for the minority of pet owners they make for profit so make what sells, sadly hamsters are seen as a cheap pet so people want cheap cages to go with them, which take up little space in their homes :cry:

Or is it that you've stumbled on a hamster forum who are as nutty about their hamsters as we are about bunnys and they are all constructing their own hamster accommodation out of large fish tanks and making accessories?

No petshops in germany are allowed to sell plastic or barred hamster cages or plastic toys for them.

This!

There are probably just as many owners over there that keep their pets in small housing.

I like zooplus for thefeeds and natural treats they make. the' bunny' range of foods looks great but expensive. I do think they look like more though t has gone into them.

I love all the tanks, there is a german on the hamster forum i am on and they have posted pics of their tank and it is amazing, apparently their equivelant to our animal welfare act states that no plastic can be used for hamsters unless it is a wheel or drinking bottle.

I was so amazed at the size and quality of the tank that i got a fishtank for mine and planned to build a platform ans make it look all natural, but sadly my ham died before i did this

Most people over here use tanks or bins because there aren't any suitable cages for hamsters here, unless you attach cages together or put mesh over rabbit cage bars or something so the bar spacing is right.

I know on the ham forums I'm on there's some people that house hamsters the German way. IKEA Detolf is becoming popular too, which makes it easier to do 'german housing'.

Back