• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Going from 2 to 4?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
:wave:

I cant believe its taken my untill now (and my 5year old who has nagged for a YEAR for a bunny!) for me to own buns and im absolutly loving it!! :thumb::love: Im fascinated with them! We have had P&D almost 2 months now and we had been thinking about fostering when P&D move into the shed but Im not sure that fostering is for me...I know i will get far too attached and not want them to leave...

So we are pondering adopting two more buns :love: I still need to work on hubby a bit but its me that cares for them and they are mine!! ;) So for those of you that have had/do have 4 tell me what its like? apart from the obvious extra vets bills/food costs etc!

I have found someone local who is selling me a bale of farm meadow hay at £4.50 per bale so im happy enough to feed that with a handful or so of timothy/similar per day as well as the meadow. I would need more pellets but they dont cost much really, I dont really feed fruit/veg. Im thinking the main thing will be time?

So can you talk to me about real life with 4 buns? (they would all be outdoor!) :love:

Are you thinking a group of four together or two pairs?

I find two set ups hard work at times whereas a group of four didnt really make a huge difference effort wise.

Because there is a lot of sharing the day to day costs dont all double eg hay used as bedding wont be that much more and a bale will work out cheap anyway. A bale lasts me just over two weeks for 6 buns. Obviously vaccs etc will double in price because you have double the buns

In care terms, you won't notice too much difference but cost wise it can be an enormous step - vaccinations double and so does out of hours emergency treatment (well at least the risk of it does). Insurance would be recommended for sure but then the premium for 4 would also be more. Boarding too - finding someone to have 4 buns rather than 2 could be more difficult particularly at busy times.

That said, it's twice the fun and the differences in personality too will probably be amazing.

I love the idea of a quad but P&D have only just been spayed so obviously we would have to wait, plus im petrified about the thought of bonding :? :oops:

So i dont really know yet :?

Yes The Duchess made a good point, 4 in boarding works out much more and finding space can be hard. Getting someone to house sit works well for me though

In care terms, you won't notice too much difference but cost wise it can be an enormous step - vaccinations double and so does out of hours emergency treatment (well at least the risk of it does). Insurance would be recommended for sure but then the premium for 4 would also be more. Boarding too - finding someone to have 4 buns rather than 2 could be more difficult particularly at busy times.

That said, it's twice the fun and the differences in personality too will probably be amazing.

Sorry mised your reply as we posted at the same time! :)

I have booked boaring for P&D already for our 2 hols next year and have opted for the largest accomodation that the boarding place has :) However if they were not bonded as a quad then I would need to find somewhere else or take a smaller accomodation as they only had one of the size we booked!

I think i need to write down all the costs and see whats what...I so love the idea of a garden full of buns :love: I need to be sensible :)

I have 4 buns, 2 seperate couples. The main thing I noticed cost wise was their litter, as its for 2 set ups. Other than that its just as mentioned already, twice as much cleaning out etc. But if you have the time go for it, I love having bunnies everywhere! :lol::love:

I did that!! I had 2 indoor buns but I started volunteering at a local animal sanctuary and fell in love with another bun... So I sorted out a big dog kennel gor outside and found Daisy a boyfriend at another rescue, then went for it! I have to say though, I think I have taken on too much as I work full time too. I like to spend some quality time with both pairs of buns every morning and evening, so I barely have any time to myself and am constantly knackered! But I love them all to bits and don't regret any of them at all :wave:

I went from 1 pair to 2 pairs a few years ago (i now have 11 bunnies here in total - 7 are foster bunnies! ;)) I don't think its a huge amount of extra work so to speak, they all get the same amount of time spent with them daily, they all get their potties cleaned daily, i guess its just double everything :? Double vaccine costs, vets bills, food, cleaning, cuddling :love: Follow your heart - i have 7 foster bunnies if you want to come and have a peek, im not far from you ;) x

Thanks for the offer :) I might well take you up on that!

I wish I was feeling braver about the fostering but I'm such a soppy wimp and I'm so worried I would end up heart broken :(

Back