• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Normal rabbit wee

Jamie

Warren Scout
I was wondering if it would be possible for some descriptions and maybe some pictures of normal wee?

This morning one of my rabbits has done a very dark coloured wee and I just want to know if it's normal.

Thanks

Jamie
Xxxx

Rabbit wee can vary in colour considerably, depending on what they've eaten. There are pigments in some plants that can cause very dark urine output, dandelions being just one example. One of our members, thumps, posted a photo on this thread which may help.
:)
There is a little info at the bottom of this article re. urine colour too: http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

Very dark wee can also be a sign of dehydration though, so have you noticed whether bunny has been drinking less? Is your rabbit behaving normally or is he/she showing any signs of being unwell?

Thumps also mentioned in the other thread I linked to above that it can also be a sign of stress.

Thanks guys. I will have a proper look at that.

Twix isn't behaving different or giving me any other reason to think that she is poorly. I am concerned that both rabbits aren't drinking enough though.

Do you know roughly how much they drink and has their water consumption decreased? If they're eating quite a bit of veggies, then they will be getting moisture from those as well so that could possibly explain why they're not drinking as much as you would expect.

Alfie and Bubbles seem to much prefer their water slightly warm (and from a bowl rather than a bottle) so I fill the bowl almost to the top with cold and then add a splash of boiling water from the kettle.

Back