• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A question about Avipro Plus/probiotics

Oompa-Loompa

Warren Veteran
Ok, so Boris has now been put on a 20 day course of antibiotics and to prevent him from getting problems with his stomach, I'm planning to get him some Avipro which I'll make sure he is given daily. Now, the description says you can put it in the water, which would obviously be better and less stressful for him than to syringe feed (he HATES the syringe). But since he shares his water bowl with Bella, could it harm her in any way if she has some without really needing it? She drinks a lot more than he does, I wouldn't want to put it in the water is there's a risk of her getting sick :(

Would the ANTIbiotics not just cancel out the probiotics? But no they wouldn't affect you're other rabbit, avipro can be given to a healthy rabbit

I honestly don't know, I was just told by my vet to give it to him just in case the abx would upset his stomach :oops:

Probably a good idea since the antibiotics may kill off the good bacteria having some replaced may help.

All right, I'm gonna go and get some asap :D He's been on 10 day courses before and not had any problems, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

Thanks guys :)

Biolapis is better than Avipro as it doesn't contain sugar. But on the downside it's a bit more expensive.

I could be remembering this all wrong, but I've a feeling Marie Kubiak, a vet on here, said something about probiotics not being any use for bunnies. Hopefully someone else will remember if (a) I'm dreaming (b) what it was all about!

I could be remembering this all wrong, but I've a feeling Marie Kubiak, a vet on here, said something about probiotics not being any use for bunnies. Hopefully someone else will remember if (a) I'm dreaming (b) what it was all about!
[url]http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?254709-baby-rabbits&highlight=probiotics
[/URL]

Acidophilus isn't useful, but saccharomyces (in Biolapis and Fibreplex) is.

ETA: Avipro has acidophilus - the roduct was originally designed for dogs I think

Thanks for finding that. :) I don't think that was the thread I read it in, so she might have mentioned it somewhere else too. Very interesting, anyway.

Be aware that avipro in the water may mean them drinking a LOT more than normal! I use the pro fibre pellets instead now as avipro has sugar in which seems counterintuitive for gut problems.

Yes, that's a good point too - a lot of veterinary probiotics have dextrose in, for some reason.

I ended up buying some Fibreplex instead. I hope I can get him to eat it! He's very picky so I'll probably have to hide it in something :roll::lol:

Back