• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Yay For Hay!!!

MikePalmer88

Alpha Buck
Sorry really pointless post just wanted to share some success with you!

Mr has NEVER been a big hay eater - we "rescued" him of a free gumtree add when he was 6 months old we have had him for almost a year now and he has always turned his nose up to any hay we presented him with... apart from Timothy & Rye which he seemed to munch now and then on...Wilma loved it and would eat enough for both!

We used to fill it up in their cage twice a day most days and it was always Wilma munching away..

Yesterday after some painful and tiring bonding over 4 months nearly they moved into their bedroom together (previously Mr's home) and it was in the room we where storing all of the rabbit things - Hay, Megazorb etc (all the MASSIVE things that didnt fit in cupboards etc)

So there was a 1/3 used 9.5kg bale of Timothy & Rye which i decided that rather than moving id just let them at it...i didnt think it would do much harm...

AND MR LOVES IT...He has never been a digger or scratcher in the house but the big bale of hay must of brought out his inner rabbit and he is grazing into, digging at and ive no doubt ill come back from training tonight and he will have burrowed into and made himself and Wilma a little burrow!!

This is such good news after his recent spur removal - which was probably caused (not through lack of trying) lack of hay eating!! YAY FOR HAY!!!:p:p

aaah thats wonderful! Thinking about it - when Archie first arrived here he wasnt really a hay eater...and I had him in a shed whilst I got him vacs and neutered etc...and I kep the hay bales in there too...well - He dug a tunnel through the hay and ate loads...i think it got him realising it was good food and made him feel good....maybe like you say - the "inner bunny" comes out!

great news!:thumb::love:

Awwwh thats brilliant news :D And im so pleased Wilma is doing well :love: We still have 4 of her babies in foster care, i have Mickey and he is so adorable, just like his mum! :D xx

What brilliant news, Im very pleased for you :)

The same thing happened with my boy benji, after pushing the hay for a while he started to eat it, and has only had to have one dental and that was 8 months ago. Hopefully the same thing happens for Mr! :)

Having another good hay eating bun is also a benefit though ;)

nice one :)

When I got Alfred (he was a rescue) he didn't know what hay was, then I got him some readigrass which he loved, and then he gradually started on hay - its a lovely sight to see them munching on hay :love:

Yay indeed, thanks for sharing! :wave: Good encouragement for those of us with buns that don't eat as much hay as they should.

Yep for those that have struggled.....never give up!!

He is looking so much better now he is eating more hay! He just loves digging at it!

Back