• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need help making a decision.....

LauryStevens

Mama Doe
Update on No.11 post

I have a beautiful quad of rabbits, all none related and I have bonded them all myself. Thumper was my first rabbit, we then got him a girlfriend (Blossom) and she became the dominant one with ease *bless them*. Months down the line we got Skittles (a female hermaphrodite) and Bella. In "rank" order, I believe it is safe to say that Blossom in boss with Thumper in second command, Skittles and then Bella who is very much the "runt". Thumper and Blossom still keep their original strong duo bond but are happy being part of a group. I face the issue where recently, Bella is being picked on now almost daily. I usually go out and see a little bit of her fur pulled which has happened for the past week now. Usually when I see them during the day, Thumper, Skittle and Bella are together on their platform and blossom is off somewhere else guarding the run...but I do sometimes see slight aggression from them all time to time towards Bella, but mostly from the boss, Blossom.

I'm worried this will continue daily. I also don't want Bella getting too stressed, even though she doesn't appear to be, or something terrible might happen one day. I'm debating on whether to bring her into my room as a permanent home for her. That would mean I have a trio outside and Bella on her own in my room.

I trying to figure out what is best for her. I don't have any doubts that the other three would then develope any issues between themselves...I think they'll all be ok rank wise and no one will become the next "runt". But I'm also wondering if I'm worrying to much as I should just leave them all alone as generally they do get on....it would be a real shame to seperate them.....

What should I do :( Please give your reasons too

Last edited:
Oh, poor little Bella :cry: Has anything changed within their environment that might have triggered this? Is Bella well health wise? It might be worth getting her checked by a vet as sometimes bullying occurs due to one of the buns being ill (offen the bullied bun.)

You could also try rebonding them, ie taking them into a small neutral area and basically starting from scratch.

Failing that would it be possible to have 2 pairs so that Bella isnt on her own?

Such a shame, your quad is so gorgeous :(

Oh, poor little Bella :cry: Has anything changed within their environment that might have triggered this? Is Bella well health wise? It might be worth getting her checked by a vet as sometimes bullying occurs due to one of the buns being ill (offen the bullied bun.)

You could also try rebonding them, ie taking them into a small neutral area and basically starting from scratch.

Failing that would it be possible to have 2 pairs so that Bella isnt on her own?

Such a shame, your quad is so gorgeous :(

Thanks for the reply, I'm so desperate for some answers and ideas. I added chils mats with hay on top a few days ago but the progressed bullying started before that. So nothing at the time seems to have triggered it really, just the coldness in the weather I guess? Bella is always bright eyed and happy/healthy, never had a single issue with her. If any are unhealthy it's more likely to be Thumper, who has slightly sore feeties (which has been corrected a few days ago by the child mats. Maybe I should get her checked over by a vet then, just incase? Changing their territory by an increase, decrease or total territory change will result in unhappy bunnies and squabbles so I don't want to try that really :( Skittles was originally paired with Bella but I worry skittles might then try a bully her on her own (knowing she may well get very territorial when breeding season starts even though she's not exactly female).

Bella does love human company, so I know she'd be ok with me, but I'm not always in as I work 5 days a week and I'm out of the house for approx 11 hours of that day, so I'd feel abit neglected for her.

Hmm that is a tough one :?

How does Bella respond when she is bullied? If she is submissive and doesnt fight back it might be ok to leave it, monitor closely and see how it goes.

Maybe get them all to the vets for a check up just in case.

Hope you figure it out :wave:

dont know what to suggest - its so horrible when they get left out...didnt want to read an drun though....hoping it works out:(

Hmm that is a tough one :?

How does Bella respond when she is bullied? If she is submissive and doesnt fight back it might be ok to leave it, monitor closely and see how it goes.

Maybe get them all to the vets for a check up just in case.

Hope you figure it out :wave:

Bella just bolts. Usually it's just a bum nip by Blossom....but sometimes the others lung at her when she tries to get away from the offending "nipper" i.e. Blossom. It's sad to see....but they do also get on really well for the most part (from what I see). I plan to just watch carefully as best I can, see how things progress. I hope it's just a phase. It's just not nice watching it happen, and to see ever so slightly bits of fur vanish isn't very comforting. :(

Bella just bolts. Usually it's just a bum nip by Blossom....but sometimes the others lung at her when she tries to get away from the offending "nipper" i.e. Blossom. It's sad to see....but they do also get on really well for the most part (from what I see). I plan to just watch carefully as best I can, see how things progress. I hope it's just a phase. It's just not nice watching it happen, and to see ever so slightly bits of fur vanish isn't very comforting. :(

Aww bless her :cry:
The others might just be lunging at her as she startles them as she bolts from Blossom. Atleast they are chummy most of the time, I guess it will be if this changes that you have some decision making to do.
I really hope they calm down soon xxx

I used to have a trio (two sisters and one unrelated) but one of the sisters started to get picked on. I eventually couldn't stand it any longer so I brought her to live indoors as a single bunny. It turned out she wasn't very well so I guess that's why the others were picking on her (survival of the fittest and all that). So firstly, I'd get Bella checked out by the vet for signs of anything obvious.

I was lucky because my OH works shifts and I was only part-time at the time. Therefore Wispa almost always had someone home with her. And if we weren't home, my dogs were so there was 'company' of some kind. She seemed perfectly content with this arrangement and never went near the other bunnies when she was free-ranging in the garden. If I'd have seen her making a bee-line for the others I'd have assumed she was missing bunny company.

This is a decision only you can make I'm afraid. My first reaction would be (1) Vet - get Bella checked out; (2) if she's healthy, keep a very close eye on the group dynamics. Is it possible to get CCTV rigged up outside? If you're away for 11 hours a day then you're not going to see much going on, especially now it's winter. If at all concerned, I'd separate Bella. You might be away at work all day but it's during the day that bunnies snooze and lounge around. You'd be home with her during the evenings/night time when they're most active and seeking company. I've seen the damage bunnies can do to each other and it's not pretty.

I used to have a trio (two sisters and one unrelated) but one of the sisters started to get picked on. I eventually couldn't stand it any longer so I brought her to live indoors as a single bunny. It turned out she wasn't very well so I guess that's why the others were picking on her (survival of the fittest and all that). So firstly, I'd get Bella checked out by the vet for signs of anything obvious.

I was lucky because my OH works shifts and I was only part-time at the time. Therefore Wispa almost always had someone home with her. And if we weren't home, my dogs were so there was 'company' of some kind. She seemed perfectly content with this arrangement and never went near the other bunnies when she was free-ranging in the garden. If I'd have seen her making a bee-line for the others I'd have assumed she was missing bunny company.

This is a decision only you can make I'm afraid. My first reaction would be (1) Vet - get Bella checked out; (2) if she's healthy, keep a very close eye on the group dynamics. Is it possible to get CCTV rigged up outside? If you're away for 11 hours a day then you're not going to see much going on, especially now it's winter. If at all concerned, I'd separate Bella. You might be away at work all day but it's during the day that bunnies snooze and lounge around. You'd be home with her during the evenings/night time when they're most active and seeking company. I've seen the damage bunnies can do to each other and it's not pretty.

Good thing pay day is tomorrow then! I'll try get Bella to a vet when I can, it might have to wait until the weekend though as I'm busy with work until then :/ I hope their naughty behavour does settle *fingers crosses*

Thanks guys!

any one else got any advice? I checked them earlier (as I'm signed off work at the moment) and Bella was sitting infront of Blossom while they searched for bits of fresh hay...so that seemed good

Update:

They calmed down a little but are starting to pull fur again :( Saw Skittles do it this time as she launched after her....they were out on the grass so I think they were all a little excited but the fur pulling has definatly started almost daily again :( Not to mention work have told me that they may lay me off if I take any more "sick time" due to whats going through my head at the moment, I'm declining the doctors sickness certificate in fears of being laid off at work :( help :(

Could you bring them all in when you have some time and rebond? Reduce the space again somewhere neutral?

Back