• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

baldness ???

lunylisa

New Kit
hi
my davie has got quite a large bald patch on her neck right where the injection site is .she has been seen by a vet and its deffinatley not mites .but back in august she had two injections off NOBIVAC myxo . she had it twice because the vet had onnly just started and didnt read her notes properly she was supposed to have had the vhd jab on this occassion !anyway after telling me that she would be fine they booked her in for two after for the vhd which she had .she started going bald in the begining of october and really itching it till it was red raw (poor babe). i found a different vet practice who no bunnys and has said that it could be a reaction to the overdose or the jabs ?ive been given some steriod cream for her and so far all the redness has gone and she got hair growing back on the coloured patches of skin but not the pink skin tomorow (wednesday)she would have had the cream treatment a week how long to carry on with this ?the vet only said to ring if no improvement . their is improvement i just worry that if i stop using the cream she will get irritated again :?
thanks for reading your thought on this would be appreiciated:)

Did she have the skin reaction after the vhd or the myxo jabs?

If in doubt, ring the vet :) they will be happy to give advice over the phone. If you are worried though I would take her back.

Also, I THINK your vet is meant to report the reaction to the vaccine manufacturer, just so you know.

Did she have the skin reaction after the vhd or the myxo jabs?

If in doubt, ring the vet :) they will be happy to give advice over the phone. If you are worried though I would take her back.

Also, I THINK your vet is meant to report the reaction to the vaccine manufacturer, just so you know.

i changed vets after this because everytime i went she changed sex !the vets who vaccinated her said that she deffinatley wouldnt have any reactions so i am still unsure what has caused this
i am going to call for advice tomorow regarding the cream

i changed vets after this because everytime i went she changed sex !the vets who vaccinated her said that she deffinatley wouldnt have any reactions so i am still unsure what has caused this
i am going to call for advice tomorow regarding the cream

This is a load of hogwash! Its a good job you dont use them anymore.

It is well documented for rabbits to have reactions to vaccinations (although fairly unlikely) and also that it puts the immune system under strain. I imagine two would put it more under strain than one.

The VHD vacc is more likely to cause a reaction, normally if the brand Cylap is used. I'd reccommend not using this brand for future vaccs if it did cause the issue but using Lapinjet or Anivac. If the rabbit has a reaction to the myxo vacc then they are 93% likely to have a reaction to cylap, but only 43% chance of reacting to lapinjet. At the time of the survey below, anivac was still fairly new the figures arent conclusive but it doesnt use the mineral oil that causes the problems in cylap and so far the results look good.

Here is the survey and results: http://www.therabbithouse.com/research/vaccination.asp

it was cylap in the last vaccination :( just cant prove that her baldness is caused by either jab because she only started losing her hair at begining of october and her jabs had been done in august :? i am just worried what long term effects she mite have being she was overdosed :( it was the new current vet that seems to think there may be a connection ! i much prefer this current vet she seemed to have a naturel flair going on with my bunny . at the old vet practice i saw 3 different vets who was not really interested (must prefer dogs i think ) it was bish ,bash, bosh job done .one even recommended that the jabs are only nessasary once a year

my goodness :shock: my mind boggled ! davies skin hasnt broken or gone weepy but i think if i left it ,it could have only one of the sores on the second link looked like my davies

Back