• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

merlins ended up seeing vets this morning..ongoing tummy probs still

purplebumble

Warren Veteran
well the squishy poops and teeny poops were the alarm call.....he was still eating his peelts though and begging for whatever you were eating......he begs..cant help himself.

i picked him up last night and was coated in smears of poops.

so i rang this morning to see if they could add merlin to the time slot i had already booked for bertie.

they fitted us in....merlins tum couldnt be heard as he became over stressed and breathing soo fast huffing and puffing....
so the vet looked in his mouth..no spurs..but very oddly his teeth surfaces and edges are all higgledey piggeldy....grand canyon style..or cliffs. no sore mouth either.

His tummy however s very very sore:( its the IFL again around his guts..its very lumpy and hard.

vet and i agreed treat his tummy for about two to three days to settle him...then if no improvement...a dental is needed.
In the meantime he has to have zantac...metacam and metaclopramide.
He had injections there..and i asked if he could have vetergesic jab instead of metacam one...its usually what they end up giving him when hes hospitalised with his tummy pain etc.
The vet said t didnt make him too sleepy etc..well for a few hrs..knock out drops...but he needs the pain relief....

i hope i didnt decide wrong...hes very lethargic since and very quiet and has refused a treat...his pellets..avoiding hay too. is huddled up sleepy but has moved round his cage getting comfy as poss with his tummy.
I gave him so strands of sliced greens...hes eaten one or two.

im not syring feeding him till the vetergesic wears off a bit to wake him a bit more...or he wont even try to swallow..usual merlin prob!

im worried sick..he looks like hes dying....but i know its the pain relief..or at least i hope so.

im terrifed.....scared witless....im doing the right thing am i..not syring feeding him for a few hrs till hes a bit more alert....he did eat pelelts overnight..and was asking for forbidden things like biscuits...before he went...since he came back tho..he didnt even try the teeny bit of biscuit he was given to see if he was eating/had an appetite.

hes very sleepy..it does this to bertie too..he once slept for nearly 4hrs after a vetergesic shot...happended two time out of three!!

please know i know the vibes i was asking for were going to lead to a more serious bout..the poo smutts on my hallway floor least once a day told me that. The examination table got a nice smear of lighter coloured soft poops..with darker smears too...only very narrow little "paintbrush strokes"..vets words..not mine!

please lease send him some tummy vibes....i am dreading itll be either a dental...or another round of hospitalisation for him on iv drip etc......poor wee fella...but i told vet hed been cleaning bertie thru the baby gate bars but he couldnt feel anyhting like a blockage or bloat..not even gas....but his strangled gi tract was very lumpy as ever.

but its there at the back of my mind....he had fur block once of berties fur.....he was lucky..meds..massage and liquid paraffin helped him pass the blockage and then he was halfway better....
last time to he was a single bun....no access to other buns.....not even to wash through bars...and he got very seriously ill and ened up over a week in the vets.

comeone little fella..our little hair bear......please....xx

:( all this time i havent been able to sleep..now i cant stay awake....:(

he was very quiet but i put it down to vetergesic..personal experience has taught me to let it abate a bit before medicating.
well stupid me i fell asleep for three hrs:(

he has not eaten anything since the three teeny strips of greens i gave him when he got home. hes not responding to food or treats..

the vet just rang me back and said if its a furball from bertie then theres nothing that can be done!:shock::evil:
why oh why do i get the twonk vet no matter which practice i go to!
mind you he was aware of merlins probs and said i could take him in tonight..but becasue of todays stress...on top of being ill...all the meds hes had is all he can have and theres no one on site from 11pm to 8am..the nurse pops in at 7am...if theyre critical then the vets have to come in..medicate them then leave.
It was exactly the same at downlands....no practice can afford to have someone on site 24/7.

animed hospital at shedfield has a vet and a nurse overnight..but theyre dimwits who sent melrin home 24hrs later and ignored his gi problem totally..and kept him opposite a very distressed cat when he hsould have been in the small animal ward:(

im sick of this...find bunvets again or those who understand more..and theyre several of them...then boomph

hes said the stress of the visit alone today would have made him much worse and to keep on force feeding him every hr will just make it worse....

hes said to feed him maybe every 3 to 4 hours or less....the important thing is to give him his meds and tempt him to eat...and if theres no improvement or he gets worse then to bring him in.
I guess i can see the logic in that....merlins very stressed....

ive given him pureed science selective with 30ml of isotonic bio lapis and he drank it readily...its now smelling like apples..never used to!

im going to syring feed him in a few hrs and let him rest but will check on him whenever i can. hes in his cage right beside nikkis bed....but shes ill with ME and now IBS...its the stress...just like me early hrs of this morning.

with gi stasis buns i treat and dont panic like this...but i know its more dangerous with his gi tract normally.

personally i think the dentals going to be needed...but i will try to stabilise him first.

if he makes it through the night:cry: i am suffering epileptic blakouts alread from sleep probs for last few weeks and today as i had to take codeine for my ibs this morning and lots of anti spasmotics and loperamide. drowsy much.
I shouldnt have bunnies..or the cats..but esp buns..if i cannot nurse them as often as they need...i am a stupid person to have them.

i hope melrin makes the night at least..no poops not even sticky bum now......but im going to put osme stalky hay in to see if thats more tempting. of course his mouth could be sore fromt he check up this morning.

oh why oh why...i nealry lost him on 5th dec last year....and id lost dazy-mae the day before.....merlin was hospitalised for over a week...and a bit...and was lucky enough to get a dental..then a diagnosis on his gut....pass the fur....and recover.

its been a close shave since then each time..i try to avoid stress of vets...medicating him etc unless he has a worsening....

ruth the vet said whatever he gets wrong with his GI tract..it will always be somehting shed expct him to die from becasue of the infiltrating fatty lipomas around his gi tract. I keep preparing myself for it..its either him or bertie...i am so paranoid..so many buns gone this way lately on here.....:cry:

please please..i know i should have read the signs and medicated him when it first appeared...but he was eating fine and pooping lots albeit a bit smaller....he was bubly etc..even this morning he was.

but i have to balance the stress levels too and i didnt think he warranted medicating last week or so.....he was eating fine...but then not so much his hay...points to dentals with him.

im going to treat him overnight and if he makes it..i will speak to other vets in morning....maybe they could put some subcut fluids in so i can keep him home.

hes drunk the isotonic solution of the bio lapis like i said..now i wait a bit longer..if i can stay awake:(

im stupid..i had children and ended up divorced and sole custodian...so much lack of sleep..so many attacks...theyd have better off in care than with me...but they survived. now i cannot nurse buns all these hrs with loss of sleep making me have attcks.

that makes me a selfish bunny owner:(

come on merlin.....you have to get better..please...

yes karen i know you have a soft spot...hes so sweet natured and bashful....hard not to be.

omg someones just let off a firwork..or somones been shot...:shock:

right im off to give bertie his meds....and give em fresh food hay n water...nope nother firework..wot on earth:evil:
just what merlin doesnt need.

if i catnap i should be ok i hope to see to him.

nite folks
wish merlin well..he needs all the help he can get.

Healing vibes for Merlin and strengthening vibes for you! ((((((((((vibes)))))))))) I'm so sorry to hear you're having so many troubles. Hang in there!
((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))

thank you..been a long night.

no improvement..unhelpful vet.....hes had all the meds theyd give him......im syringe feeding him 10ml at each feed and 10ml bio lapis solution.

vet rang me back late last night to see how merlin was doing...he said hed gone through his notes and the only different thing that was done last time was he was given subcut fluids....the surgery nearest should be able to do it

hes not eaten anything on his own..not even fresh mint....not drunk on his own...cannot see wees but his poops are non existent still.

sigh...what do i do:(

thank you..been a long night.

no improvement..unhelpful vet.....hes had all the meds theyd give him......im syringe feeding him 10ml at each feed and 10ml bio lapis solution.

vet rang me back late last night to see how merlin was doing...he said hed gone through his notes and the only different thing that was done last time was he was given subcut fluids....the surgery nearest should be able to do it

hes not eaten anything on his own..not even fresh mint....not drunk on his own...cannot see wees but his poops are non existent still.

sigh...what do i do:(

I would ask for him to be admitted as fluid therapy is a must.

Sending lots more vibes for him x

jane i did just that!! ive only seen your post now as im logged on to update.

hes admitted on subcut to let him move a bit more..plus hes chewed through his share of iv drips:oops:

its good news that there doesnt appear to be a blockage...but he does have stasis as a side effect of both his gi probs and his teeth.

i was going there to get fluids anyway but terrified hed got a blockage.

poor little mite..he had eaten a small mint leaf and three teeny strands of fine meadow hay but found it too much.

his stalky dust free hay lay where it had been....untouched.

the vet said he must have fluids asap......and hopefully it will help him....theyre going to ring me later to update. The biggest worry is him being so fragile...BUT his teeth being the cause. Now that hes not able to fight as much..but he did try...his teeth could be seen easier. Theyre in a right old mess..even spurs that matt couldnt see.
Theres no real option....fluids today...dental in morning. Altho it will be a whiff of cevo gas...theyre going to bur the molars as flat as poss....and burr the spurs. John said they wouldnt normally do it with a bun with such innapetance...as if they survive the procedure..they die afterwards with more gi probs. BUT his teeth are the reason he cant eat...his tummy inflammed normally....affected by dehydration etc.

so please please can we have some vibes....somethings very wrong..i can feel it like i did when we lost my darling girly bif in august 2010:(

you just get that gut feeling dont you....im very upset and worried...the cats wouldnt even be in the same room as him...phoebe was out still is for her free ranging.....and she went to see him once..then didnt go back in the room:(

comeon little hair bear....poor merlin.........little man....such a sweetheart:love:

thank you jane.
im being optimistic..i took a food bag with a big lot of science selective in it..im being hopeful i said...optimistic even though its like a weeks worth to a fortnights worth in it:oops:

poor little bun...:( vibes and vibes..please please..its almost a year now to losing dazy-mae..little merlin..please get better....

Sending more vibes.

Let me know if you need anything, Debbie. I'm not on-call at my night job now until Friday night.

karen hun thank you..was looking for my phone to txt you and update you xx

im off for some sleep if i can....got a headache...worried sick.....all us bunny parents know that feeling:(

Thank you so much.

when i rang about 10am they said hed had his dental an hour before and woke up straight away:shock: he then went and had 2 drinks of water. Hes also done some poops..but theyre very tiny:( But he may be able to ocme home she said. Um fine..but make sure youre aware of his history with his gi probs...last time he got sent home like this..he ended up being hospitalised by this practice for over a week!

i rang just now and hes stll fighting bless him..hes tried and eaten a bit of hay....is still doing some..very small poops ..so theyre keeping him in tonight....i told her thats a good idea...and i have my MH docs appt at midday in the hospital in their area....i will be able to come down and see him..and if hes ok...take him home with me...taxi drivers gonna love me...take me here..take me there..wait here....lets go home with my bunny.

im going to just sweep out his cage before he ocmes home and refill tray and wash food n water bowls. i dont want to touch anyhting..its like jinxing things....:oops:

we know hes good as looking better and then nosediving...its a bun thing right:( but if hes fighting as much as he usually does...he wil not go without a fight if his gi tract doesnt kick into gear. But it maybe a case of being in for a week anway...

petplan will not pay for the dental...but i hope i can claim for the innapetence and gi probs as its flared up his tummy prob....teeth probs or no teeth probs....most important of all..i just want my little fella home safe and sound and dancing on his hind legs for a mint leaf and burying his face in his hay and eating his way out:love:

have i got my hopes up too much though:(

comeon merlin.....get better...we all miss you so much. poor dylans looking everywhere for you and mewing pathetically..he cant figure out where his tv buddy is....(they have been caught snuggled in bed with nikki...both watching tv together)

vibes please...he needs a lot of them.....

thank you x

ive rung just now

Back