• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Preparing for the worst.

Nicole+Alex

Warren Scout
Hi, we have a pair of rescue house rabbits who are approx 5 year old mini lops. They are very happy but Binky seems to be loosing his eyesight and having arthritus problems. We are addressing these with the vets but I just wanted to prepare myself in case anything bad happens what is the best way to deal with a rabbit from a bonded pair dying?

If one is put to sleep at the vets, what would be the best process and should there be any grieving/debonding time afterwards. Or is separation best asap?

If one dies overnight at home what would be the best process in this case.

Sorry if it seems morbid, but I know that if anything happens to my rabbits I will be so upset and want to be best prepared for the benefit of my other rabbit.
Many thanks,

N

I'm sorry you're facing this, but well done for thinking of them :love:

Bonded pairs should travel together, unless there is a very good reaosn not to, so to the vets together and if one if PTS, the PTS bun should go back with the remaining bun, for him/her to say goodbye.

The same is for home, if one bun dies at home, they should be left together until the remaining bun has said goodbye.

As rabbits are so social, it's important that they understand what has happened to their friend, their partner.

Back