• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny with a cut nose

tashy31

New Kit
Hi

We have 2 lovely bunnies that are nearly 3 years old.
We noticed the other day that my bunny Norma was starting to look a little poorly, runny eyes (clear liquid) and a few blisters of her mouth. So obviously we panicked and though the worst Myxomatosis. Both were vaccinated again a few months ago. The vet wasn't sure if it was early signs of myxi or something else, so gave her some antibods and Anti inflammatory, we brought both bunnies in the warmth and have been nursery her. She is doing very well, eyes look all good and blisters healing. :D

However, at the same time we had noticed on Jean, the other bunny, a deep scratch on her nose, across her right part of the nose. They obviously play together alot and often run around like loons, so perhaps she got scratched then. The vet looked at it (Friday) and said it didn't seem to be causing her any pain or upset but to keep an eye on it. The other day the cut seemed to have stretched to the edge of the nose, so the little chunk was hanging on by a bit. I'd imagine she has probably been itching it. We have given her some antibods and been cleaning it. She seems to be ok. This morning we picked her up and it appears the little chunk of her nose has dropped off. :( It looks like its healing quite well though.

I wonder if anyone else has come across this? We are going to keep an eye on it this week and if needs be take another trip to the vets on Sat to get her checked over. Not sure what they can do otherthan what we are already doing, antibods and keeping it clean. She has no other symptons and is still full of beans.

Any advise welcome. Thanks

Without being able to see the lesion it is impossible to say what the cause may be. If it was an injury then the dead tissue can fall off, revealing new healthy tissue underneath. There may well be a permanent scar though.

But as I say, not possible to give you a definite answer from a typed description.

Yeah I know sorry. It looks like normal pink tissue underneath the old chunk that has fallen off and appears to be healing very fast. No blood or seaping etc. It does look like this has been a playful injury.
I've called the vets to book in a temp appointment for Sat morning in case it gets worse or we are worried. They said in the mean time to bath it and give her some antibods, which we are doing.

Thanks for your reply, shame it will leave a sar, she is a pretty little bunny,but will make no odds to us.

Thanks

Back