• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stasis/Ileus - Stupid question/idea but please read and post opinions if you have one

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
Okay, here goes.

If a bun has a 'iffy' GI System as it is, does stasis/ileus actually help the situation?

It's just something i've noted with Ginger.

Her gut is always flaky, due to other health issues.

We were having excess caecs, dysbiotic poops (wet, mushy, not formed etc) all prior to her going into stasis for weeks etc.

Then the other sunday, we had a full stasis/ileus episode and Ginger just stopped, completely.

Upon having the relevant treatment, she returned to good GI mobility again, albeit with a blip.

Her GI Tract seems to be in a REALLY good state atm. Very minimal dysbiotic material, very little excess caecs (i think she's brewing a dental though, so quite possibly that) and her regular fecal matter is in immensely good shape (only here could you say that about POO!).

So does having that episode, and associated medications actually done her good and 'jump started' her gut back into a more regular place?

</rambling warblings of a crazed 30yr old male bunny owner>

Hi Gray :wave:

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea :roll::oops: but I will be watching this thread with interest and hope that some useful info can be highlighted :wave:

ETA. I actually woke in the night & was wondering how Ginger was doing and was going to PM you this morning :shock: Bizarre!

Okay, here goes.

If a bun has a 'iffy' GI System as it is, does stasis/ileus actually help the situation?

It's just something i've noted with Ginger.

Her gut is always flaky, due to other health issues.

We were having excess caecs, dysbiotic poops (wet, mushy, not formed etc) all prior to her going into stasis for weeks etc.

Then the other sunday, we had a full stasis/ileus episode and Ginger just stopped, completely.

Upon having the relevant treatment, she returned to good GI mobility again, albeit with a blip.

Her GI Tract seems to be in a REALLY good state atm. Very minimal dysbiotic material, very little excess caecs (i think she's brewing a dental though, so quite possibly that) and her regular fecal matter is in immensely good shape (only here could you say that about POO!).

So does having that episode, and associated medications actually done her good and 'jump started' her gut back into a more regular place?

</rambling warblings of a crazed 30yr old male bunny owner>

You know, I have thought that before... :roll:

Cookie have a very sensitive stomach, and what you have written sounds very familiar.

If the meds have helped that much would it not be possible to keep her on zantac long term? We have had bunnies on zantac long term with no problems

Not the episode itself no, but the drugs yes. They kickstart the nerves to the gut and with a course of them over a week I have often found this to be the result. I would second Liz's suggestion. :):wave:

Is Ginger on longterm abx ?

If so I would be very wary of administering longterm Ranitidine at the same time.

She's not right now, no, but has been in the past on longterm (3months+) azithromycin, but hasn't been on it for a good time now.

Daily meds are solely 2x 0.6ml metacam right now and 2x nebulisations with 1:250 F10SC, morning and night.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Zantac discussion will be had with vet, as if it may help, i'm prepared to do it!

Hi Graham,

I have a bunny Alice who has a GI disorder and has had to be nursed through repeated episodes of stasis for the last 7 months. I have been told she would need to be PTS the next morning on at least 3 occasions but so far has come through.

Unfortunately, the vet has had to use the steroid domperidone as a last resort about 3 times. It is a catch 22 situation. It kickstarts her gut amazingly effectively to the extent that she can function perfectly but I'm sure has damaging side effects on her liver so her future is very uncertain. However, here she still is!

Once her system is kickstarted, I then use either zantac morning and evening with Metacam. Sometimes, I will use metaclopramide given orally. I feel the zantac can work better for Alice as I think it may also relieve her discomfort a little and in her case pain is the key. I also put pro c in the water and use electrolyte fluid if I start noticing signs of stasis. She can last anything from days to several weeks. Her teeth are not her main problem but she has had to have a dental. She has a thickening of the stomach wall.

Alice looks a lot like Ginger. She is a super rabbit with a lovely nature and I adore her! Like Ginger, she had also lost a lot of weight and I have found the protexin pro-fibre pellets very good in stabilising this.

Nicki:)

Back