• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My theory on wild black rabbits.

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
It's an evolution theory just to warn you first. :)

I was watching the black wildies outside Norwich today and I was thinking how could they have survived so long when they stand out so much. The agouti buns blend into the grass, especially at this time of year but the black ones stand out like a sore thumb. But then I thought, foxes hunt mainly at dawn and dusk, when street lamps are on. When the orange street lights are on the agouti rabbits stand out more as their fur reflects a lot of the light, but the black ones must be more camouflaged in that situation. Perhaps in populated areas where there are more street lights black wildies actually have a better chance of survival at key hunting times....

Just what I think about on the bus home from uni. :)

I can see your point.

There are quite a few black wildies by my mum, they all live together in hedges by the river. Obviously there are not any preditors during the day, because its used as a dog walking site/children play there, and is not lit at night so the colour of fur wouldnt have much affect on their survival chances......(black or agouti, obviously white would make a difference). :)

I thought your theory would say black bunnies are more destructive. ;)

Seriously though, its a good theory, because at night you would never see a black bunny, even during the day in shadows they are hard to see.

a few years ago I used to see a huge NZ white by the side of the A64 not far from Malton. I drove past 11pm-1am every week & he was always there. The next year he was nowhere to be seen - but.... there were loads of white smaller buns - everywhere:love::love:

Back