• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bramble is all gassy :(

Zahirre

Warren Veteran
We took Bramble, our French lop to the vets with us this afternoon as I had a feeling he was looking a bit 'off'. He'd been eating, drinking and pooping fine but there was something just not right.

Luckily, Tom believes me when I have 'a feeling' and he took us straight there.

Our old vet didn't check much with Bramble when he was dumped on us. His eyes were very wet but he gave us some eye drops which didn't do very much and that was it. He was supposed to be rabbit-savvy.

Our new vet, Jo, checked him over for us today when we took him in and it turns out he's quite gassy. It's more his upper tummy, rather than lower down so we've been sent home with some metacam and something else for the gassiness (will get the name off the bottle soon)

She also checked his eyes over for me. They are producing a milky coloured discharge so she inserted some dye into his eyes and it seems as though his tear ducts are blocked. We're back in a week for her to check them over again. If he needs them flushed, which seems likely, I've asked if we can do the flushing under GA when he has his castration. I just feel like it'll be better for him to get them both out of the way at the same time. He's not had much experience of vets before he was dumped on us so I don't want him stressed more than he needs to be.

His teeth are also not great at the left hand side, which is what may be causing the tear duct problems. I guess this comes from years of being fed on straw and muesli and never hay :( He has no spurs though, which is good! He has been munching a lot of hay since being here so that's helped.

Can we have some vibes for my big boy though please? He's so poorly and is looking very sorry for himself.

I'm really nervous as I've never had any experience with dental issues/tear duct issues or gassiness.

Thanks xx

I hope Bramble is feeling better soon. Well done for picking up on it so quickly, funny how you just 'know'.

Lots of vibes. Poor boy. Grim knows what elongated tooth roots feel like and I'm sure he'd send some bunny vibes too. If his tear ducts will be blocked forever his might always run. You just have to keep an eye on them to make sure they don't get infected. I do a smell test on Grim, sounds gross but infection smells. :lol: I also find that central heating makes him worse which is why he's an outside bunny now. :(

Back