• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

SCENT GLANDS - any pics ???

suzibunbun

Mama Doe
Whilst doing voluntary work tonight I was reading through an old copy of Rabbiting on and read about cleaning scent glands - anyone got any pics or advice - I am sure I know where they are and remember one of my buns having dried up stuff in hers and having to gently pick them out - is this wise/safe - what can you tell me?

Wow! Interesting - thanks Jane - my bun's scent glands are like the last one - a hard black thing - my daughter thought it was a beetle! What's the best way to remove it and is this necessary to do regularly? Any problems having these and is it a common occurrence? I have looked in several of my informative rabbit books and it hasn't even got a section on scent glands!

I sit the bun with their head up in the bend of my elbow, use my arm to control the front legs and have noth hands free for the cleaning. I use cotton buds dampened with some warm water and gently use them to push the debris out and wipe the pocket afterwards. Just be ready for the smell, it's not pleasant!

Back