• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

right i think ive found out why?

shadow05

Mama Doe
it seems for some reason scooters managed to develop an extra chin? now i know this can be either because hes over weight or is a sign of an illness. i think hes over weight so im going to switch his burgess excel to the lite one to help and im going to let him out all day so that hell get some proper excercise. im also going to take him to vets to be sure. hopefully i shud be taking him by wednesday not got an appointment yet but ill make one as soon as i get paid.

i think the reason hes been losing fur under his chin is because of that and he is also moulting just a little bit. unfortunatly he wont let me have a proper look at him but just by holding him i can tell hes put weight on but i dont get how he doesnt get over treated. he has half a bowl of pellets like usual and thats halfed into 2 meals ive been doing it since he was little its just a routine he got into and it keeps him busy at night. he eats a lot of hay now more recently than he use to and i give him as much as he wants.

on wednesday i get 50 pound so its going to alot of thing vets, lock and padlock for my door, weight scales for food, more rabbit food, more hay, a new water bottle cause his is a bit buggered really, i need some wallplugs for stuff in my room and some other stuff that i keep forgetting.

i know some of this doesnt look important but it really is. escpecially the padlock and that because i need that while i go away its for scooter own good. my mom said that we i go on holiday that she wont let him out for the 5 days at all and i told her she couldnt do that to him because one it was unfair and to he wud crate hell. he propely growled at my mmom other day she said shed never heard a rabbit make that noise before and my brother was stood behind her when it happened and though i was keeping a tiger in my bedroom :lol::D the reason he growled was because she fed him late so im not surprised its breaking his routine :lol: he gets fed at 8 am every morning. :roll:

oh i wud also like to ask just one question.

my question is can a bunny get cold in a house that has no heating ? i know ive asked before but i always think if its bothering the hell out of me then it must be just a little bit chilly for him?

oh i wud also like to ask just one question.

my question is can a bunny get cold in a house that has no heating ? i know ive asked before but i always think if its bothering the hell out of me then it must be just a little bit chilly for him?

He has a fluffy coat! If it's cold in your house then he'll put a thicker one on to suit the temperature. I wouldn't worry, as long as he has a comfy bed to snuggle in. Mine are outside!

I imagine he needs more exercise, I would have him out at least 12 hours a day. I wouldnt bother changing his food, if you need to at a later date you can cut down on the pellets he's got, he'll eat more hay and lose weight - win win! Give him MINIMUM 12 hours a day free-range with as much stuff cleared off the floor as possible for a month and review the situation then. Being a bit chubby for a short while wont do him any harm, if you change the pellets he may lose too much weight too fast.

As for the vets, take him for his first vaccination, this is normally cheaper or a similar price to the consultation fee anyway, I think most vets dont charge consultation if you're having vaccs done, so you'll save money rather than having a consultation now and a vaccination later.

Get a heavy dog bowl from the pound shop instead of a bottle :wave: probably cheaper and wont drip everywhere and more natural for him to drink out of.

Not sure if the weighing scales are for you or scooter, if scooter you dont need them, just buy an eggcup for like 50p. If you, the argos value ones are really cheap :)

He has a fluffy coat! If it's cold in your house then he'll put a thicker one on to suit the temperature. I wouldn't worry, as long as he has a comfy bed to snuggle in. Mine are outside!

he does but its just a couple of blankets on the floor i keep meaning to get a little house or something fo him to sleep in but with everything that been going of recently i keep forgetting :(

he does but its just a couple of blankets on the floor i keep meaning to get a little house or something fo him to sleep in but with everything that been going of recently i keep forgetting :(

Just put his carrier in there and fill with hay or a couple of blankets :wave: Cheap, easy and snuggly hideaway.

You can tell I'm a student cant you :lol:

I imagine he needs more exercise, I would have him out at least 12 hours a day. I wouldnt bother changing his food, if you need to at a later date you can cut down on the pellets he's got, he'll eat more hay and lose weight - win win! Give him MINIMUM 12 hours a day free-range with as much stuff cleared off the floor as possible for a month and review the situation then. Being a bit chubby for a short while wont do him any harm, if you change the pellets he may lose too much weight too fast.

As for the vets, take him for his first vaccination, this is normally cheaper or a similar price to the consultation fee anyway, I think most vets dont charge consultation if you're having vaccs done, so you'll save money rather than having a consultation now and a vaccination later.

Get a heavy dog bowl from the pound shop instead of a bottle :wave: probably cheaper and wont drip everywhere and more natural for him to drink out of.

Not sure if the weighing scales are for you or scooter, if scooter you dont need them, just buy an eggcup for like 50p. If you, the argos value ones are really cheap :)

okay ill try and let him out for that long each day hopefully if everything goes okay tonight he might be out of his cage all night. i wud take him for his vaccination but i havent got enought money to be able to do that and get everything else that i need so ill just get him checked for now and after xmas on my first payment he will be getting both of them done hopefully if nothing goes wrong :(

as for a dog bowl ive tried this he loves to drink out of a bowl but it doesnt agree with him very well. he either find some way of knocking it over i dont know how he manages it but he does every time. :shock: hes a strong bunny surprisingly :)

at moment hes also a very giddy bunny hes everywhere :lol:

the weighting scales at to measure his food out exactly i wud use an egg cup but i like to stick to the amount on the packet plus if i only gave him an egg cup full id never been forgiven id get evil eyes every time :shock:

Just put his carrier in there and fill with hay or a couple of blankets :wave: Cheap, easy and snuggly hideaway.

You can tell I'm a student cant you :lol:

ive tried this he just shoves them all out and flattens them on the ground outside the carrier ive told him many time that even though its neat it not going to keep him warm but he never listens :D i dont know wat it is with him and making sure that his quilts are flat. when he comes up onto my bed he flattens the quilt :roll:

hes a right pain sometimes he spoils all my plans lol i give him a cardboard box to sleep in and he either throws it aroun d or he tried to sit on it but it caves in on him and then he looks at me as if to say why did u do that :lol:

okay ill try and let him out for that long each day hopefully if everything goes okay tonight he might be out of his cage all night. i wud take him for his vaccination but i havent got enought money to be able to do that and get everything else that i need so ill just get him checked for now and after xmas on my first payment he will be getting both of them done hopefully if nothing goes wrong :(

as for a dog bowl ive tried this he loves to drink out of a bowl but it doesnt agree with him very well. he either find some way of knocking it over i dont know how he manages it but he does every time. :shock: hes a strong bunny surprisingly :)

at moment hes also a very giddy bunny hes everywhere :lol:

the weighting scales at to measure his food out exactly i wud use an egg cup but i like to stick to the amount on the packet plus if i only gave him an egg cup full id never been forgiven id get evil eyes every time :shock:

No no you misunderstood! I mean sometimes its actually cheaper to get a vaccination done rather than pay for a consultation! Check their prices, at one of the vets in my town consultation is £15 but a vacc is £12. A lot of vets dont charge consultation when you have a vacc done.

Dont you feed excel? They have changed their reccommended feeding to an eggcup a day :) remember pellets are not 'dinner' for bunnies they are 'sweets'! http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/excelfeedingplan/product_details.php?type=nuggets

edit: oh and dont worry hes not odd, both of mine like to flatten their blankets or my duvet, its so sweet :)

Last edited:
Could Scooters extra chin be to do with his winter fur coming in?? My Cookie who admittedly is a lionhead cross, has grown so much new fur the past few weeks, she looks so chunky!!

Don't worry about buying weighing scales for the food. I've never used any and kept bunnies for years and years. Just do it by sight, give a tiny bit less than you did the day before. It sounds as if Scooter is improving with his hay, which is great!

No no you misunderstood! I mean sometimes its actually cheaper to get a vaccination done rather than pay for a consultation! Check their prices, at one of the vets in my town consultation is £15 but a vacc is £12. A lot of vets dont charge consultation when you have a vacc done.

Dont you feed excel? They have changed their reccommended feeding to an eggcup a day :) remember pellets are not 'dinner' for bunnies they are 'sweets'! http://www.burgesspetcare.co.uk/excelfeedingplan/product_details.php?type=nuggets

edit: oh and dont worry hes not odd, both of mine like to flatten their blankets or my duvet, its so sweet :)

oh right :oops: srry im not sure for his vets its 10 pound for a consoltation i think. ive not really had to take him to vets the last time and first time he was there was when he was neutered. ill have to check it out anyways.

i feed excel but because ive been buying it for ages i dont always look at the feeding instructions.

im glad to hear hes not the only one then :lol:

Could Scooters extra chin be to do with his winter fur coming in?? My Cookie who admittedly is a lionhead cross, has grown so much new fur the past few weeks, she looks so chunky!!

Don't worry about buying weighing scales for the food. I've never used any and kept bunnies for years and years. Just do it by sight, give a tiny bit less than you did the day before. It sounds as if Scooter is improving with his hay, which is great!

ive never seen him with an extra chin before. he is 2 this year and he coat has never shed as much as it has done this year. hes always grroming himself and constantly scratching his face but ive checked him over and nothing.

okay its a bit hard because i just pour it into his food bowl and split the food in half some in a treat ball and some in normal bowl. he has a bowl in the morning and the treat ball at night.

yea it is ive noticed that he eats more every month now.

oh right :oops: srry im not sure for his vets its 10 pound for a consoltation i think. ive not really had to take him to vets the last time and first time he was there was when he was neutered. ill have to check it out anyways.

i feed excel but because ive been buying it for ages i dont always look at the feeding instructions.

im glad to hear hes not the only one then :lol:

Theyve only just changed it, I bought some more yesterday and its not on the bags yet, I just stumbled across it on their website when I was looking at the different nutrition of each of their foods.

Theyve only just changed it, I bought some more yesterday and its not on the bags yet, I just stumbled across it on their website when I was looking at the different nutrition of each of their foods.

oh right no wonder scooters been looking a bit chubby lately. i didnt notice until my mom said something the other day and she rarely sees him. :)

oh right no wonder scooters been looking a bit chubby lately. i didnt notice until my mom said something the other day and she rarely sees him. :)

They havent changed the nutrition of the pellets, just the feeding guidlines. If he is getting the same amount of pellets as before then it must just be that he isnt getting enough exercise, although you may want to cut down a bit anyway, depending on how big that bowl is and if hes eating enough hay.

If you want to work out how many eggcups he has been getting, a small eggcup of mine holds 14g of excel adult pellets, a shot glass which is the same size as a larger eggcup holds 24g.

How is e padlock going to help when you are away for five days? Surely someone needs to be able to get in and feed him?

To be honest, i really feel for Scooter and his welfare.

He's needed to see a vet for weeks, possibly months.

You've been promising vaccinations and neutering for months "oh i get more money at the end of the month i'll get it done then" - but it never materialises.

I totally get that you don't have much money, i so appreciate that, but you have a duty of care to him. You have worries about him.

I'll again post this link in case you didn't read it last time; http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...o-Advocate-for-your-rabbit&highlight=advocate - please advocate for your rabbit.

Scooter can't do it himself. He can't tell you if he has a problem - you've noticed a change. That change could be for many reasons, none of which we can certify as we aren't vets and can't see/examine Scooter. If you notice a change, you go to the vet.

I'm sorry if this offends, but i just can't believe he still hasn't had any of the care he deserves after all the empty promises you've made.

And now you're going on holiday and your mums not going to let him out at all of a dog crate for 5 days? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
They havent changed the nutrition of the pellets, just the feeding guidlines. If he is getting the same amount of pellets as before then it must just be that he isnt getting enough exercise, although you may want to cut down a bit anyway, depending on how big that bowl is and if hes eating enough hay.

If you want to work out how many eggcups he has been getting, a small eggcup of mine holds 14g of excel adult pellets, a shot glass which is the same size as a larger eggcup holds 24g.

the first time i feed him i used a weight scale and made a note of how much it looked in the bowl. and ive just been doing it by sight since then. think i might just start giving him to egg cups a day will have to start giving him less every day.

i did try and let him out all night last night but i ended up having to put him back in his crate he was making me nervous lol but he must have had about 6 hrs out yesterday today hes had about 2hrs so far. i had to go out earlier to go to a job thingy.

How is e padlock going to help when you are away for five days? Surely someone needs to be able to get in and feed him?

srry i forgot to explain the reason behind the padlock is so that my brothers cant just go walking in ill leave a key with my mom. shes the only one i trust to sort him out while im away. :)

To be honest, i really feel for Scooter and his welfare.

He's needed to see a vet for weeks, possibly months.

You've been promising vaccinations and neutering for months "oh i get more money at the end of the month i'll get it done then" - but it never materialises.

I totally get that you don't have much money, i so appreciate that, but you have a duty of care to him. You have worries about him.

I'll again post this link in case you didn't read it last time; http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...o-Advocate-for-your-rabbit&highlight=advocate - please advocate for your rabbit.

Scooter can't do it himself. He can't tell you if he has a problem - you've noticed a change. That change could be for many reasons, none of which we can certify as we aren't vets and can't see/examine Scooter. If you notice a change, you go to the vet.

I'm sorry if this offends, but i just can't believe he still hasn't had any of the care he deserves after all the empty promises you've made.

And now you're going on holiday and your mums not going to let him out at all of a dog crate for 5 days? :(

ive already said im taking him to the vets it will have to be this weekend instead of tmmorow becaues im working.

unfortuantely i dont get paid for this work its just voluntaring.

ive only just recently seen the change in behaviour and its very slight he seems alright other wise. i already know when u shud take a pet to the vets and i dont think anything is wrong with him apart from being a bit over weight im taking him to the vets now just in case.

my mom said she wudnt because she has a back problem and to get him back in his cage is a big pain obviously its not for me but for her it wud be. but im already sorting this out so that he can be let out while im away. im doing all of this as cheap as i can. im having to abdone everything else that i was suppose to be using my money on to sort this out and get scooter to the vets.

at the moment the rabbits eating better than me. and im not joking :(

Back